Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to view data using a mouseover?

I am creating a service managers report. It will have a cell for MONTHLY
FAILED CALLS. If the number in this cell is 6 then I want to be able to do a
mouseover of this number and have a display of the the reasons for these
failures - the reasons for failures are more detailed on another workbook so
I would want to reference these.

Basically I want to display results from another workbook using mouseover
effect. Is this possible? Where do I start?
--
CJay
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Chris:

Does the cell have a formula or is the value entered ?

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200794

"Chris Jay" wrote:

I am creating a service managers report. It will have a cell for MONTHLY
FAILED CALLS. If the number in this cell is 6 then I want to be able to do a
mouseover of this number and have a display of the the reasons for these
failures - the reasons for failures are more detailed on another workbook so
I would want to reference these.

Basically I want to display results from another workbook using mouseover
effect. Is this possible? Where do I start?
--
CJay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This cell has a numerical value in it. The field is "Failed Calls". So if we
have 6 failed calls in January I want to mouseover the 6 to display the
reasons for the 6 failed calls
--
CJay

"Chris Jay" wrote:

I am creating a service managers report. It will have a cell for MONTHLY
FAILED CALLS. If the number in this cell is 6 then I want to be able to do a
mouseover of this number and have a display of the the reasons for these
failures - the reasons for failures are more detailed on another workbook so
I would want to reference these.

Basically I want to display results from another workbook using mouseover
effect. Is this possible? Where do I start?
--
CJay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is just an example that you can modify to meet your needs.

Assume that A10 contains a formula that counts the number of failed calls.

Assume that Z100 contains the reason.

The following code monitors cell A10 and if it becomes 6, a comment is
inserted:

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
Dim c As Comment
Set ra = Range("A10")
v = ra.Value
ra.ClearComments
Set rc = Range("Z100")
If v = 6 Then
ra.AddComment
ra.Comment.Visible = False
ra.Comment.Text Text:=rc.Value

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200794

"Chris Jay" wrote:

I am creating a service managers report. It will have a cell for MONTHLY
FAILED CALLS. If the number in this cell is 6 then I want to be able to do a
mouseover of this number and have a display of the the reasons for these
failures - the reasons for failures are more detailed on another workbook so
I would want to reference these.

Basically I want to display results from another workbook using mouseover
effect. Is this possible? Where do I start?
--
CJay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you could insert a comment in that cell.

Personally, I'd rather see the short descriptions in an adjacent cell. I can do
lots more (filtering!) when the data is in a cell.

Chris Jay wrote:

I am creating a service managers report. It will have a cell for MONTHLY
FAILED CALLS. If the number in this cell is 6 then I want to be able to do a
mouseover of this number and have a display of the the reasons for these
failures - the reasons for failures are more detailed on another workbook so
I would want to reference these.

Basically I want to display results from another workbook using mouseover
effect. Is this possible? Where do I start?
--
CJay

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I don't think I have explained this very well. I'll try again -

I have a managers report with a lot of data on it. In one row I have total
calls for the month(A), in another row I have total calls completed(B) and in
another I have total calls not completed(C). so A-B=C. The value of C can be
anything.

If my boss wants to know what the reasons are for column C he must look at
an entirely different report in a different workbook.

I wanted to do some type of mouseover the value of C which will reference
the other workbook and give a quick synopsis of failed reasons. Does that
make sense?
--
CJay