Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with Save As

Hi,

While using Save As functionality, i am puttin Square Braces "[ ]" in the
file name. e.g abc[1].xls. But getting a weired error saying

This file could not be accessed. Try one of the following.
* Make sure the specified folder exists.
* Make sure the folder that contains the file is not read-only.
* Make sure that the file name does not contain any of the following
characters: < ? [ ] : | or *
* Make sure the file/path name does not contain more than 218 characters.

Of-course in the above list; #3 is restricting the use of Square braces "[
]" in the file name; but as per my understanding, it is a valid character for
the file names in MS Windows. And also if I right click my desktop and use
"New = Microsoft Excel Worksheet" option; I can name the file over there
using the sqare braces.

I am surprised why MS Excel is restricting the use of "[ ]" in file name.

Any help will be appreciated, because I am stuck with a scenario where I
click a hyperlink(link to abc.xls) in my web page and click Open in the
Open/Save dialog. The file gets downloaded to Temporary Internet files and
contains its name like abc[1].xls. After examining the file if I use the Save
As option to save it, at that time getting the error message.

--
Nihal Chand

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob wrote on Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:36:11 +0100:

Excel uses [] in the filename if you reference an external
workbook in a formula, that may be the reason.

"Nihal Chand" wrote in message

While using Save As functionality, i am puttin Square Braces "[ ]" in
the file name. e.g abc[1].xls. But getting a weired error saying

This file could not be accessed.

Excel is a member of the Office suite ( I was told when I bought Office
Professional) but the programmers felt free to break general rules. One
more incentive to go to Linux!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not