Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries

I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just test that cell for a value,
http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Smallweed" wrote in message
I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value
in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a
variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Bob but there are too many values for that cell to individually
enumerate them in a Cell Value Is statement. What I need is a Formula that
looks at the relevant cells and returns the rows with the same value. I
tried =$B1=$B2 (the cells that match are in the B column) but this misses the
final row of each group.
However, perhaps I'm being too ambitious with conditional formatting....

"Smallweed" wrote in message
I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value
in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a
variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not sure I get it, but can't you use

=ISNUMBER(MATCH($B2,{1,2,3,4,5,99,73},0))

changing that array of values to suit

--
HTH

Bob