-   -   conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/193860-conditional-formatting-group-rows-repeating-entries.html)

Smallweed

conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries

I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?

Bob Phillips[_3_]

conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries

Just test that cell for a value,
http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Smallweed" wrote in message
I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value
in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a
variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?

Smallweed

conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries

Thanks Bob but there are too many values for that cell to individually
enumerate them in a Cell Value Is statement. What I need is a Formula that
looks at the relevant cells and returns the rows with the same value. I
tried =$B1=$B2 (the cells that match are in the B column) but this misses the
final row of each group.
However, perhaps I'm being too ambitious with conditional formatting....

"Smallweed" wrote in message
I've got a big list of records which I would like to group into visible
sections by colour according to a field, i.e. all rows with the same value
in
that field show in yellow, the next "group" showing without a background
colour, then the next group in yellow again and so on- basically, a
variation
on the alternating coloured rows you can do with a MOD(ROW) formula.

Does anyone know a conditional formatting formula solution to this?

Bob Phillips[_3_]

conditional formatting to group rows with repeating entries

I am not sure I get it, but can't you use

=ISNUMBER(MATCH($B2,{1,2,3,4,5,99,73},0))

changing that array of values to suit

--
HTH

Bob