Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Negative hours [h]:mm:ss

How can I enter negative hours when formatted as [h]:mm:ss

eg - 00:32:00 = 32 minutes

Regards

The Rook

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
00:32:00 is not negitive.
negitive dates and time are displayed as ######

could you be more specific?

Regards
FSt1

"The Rook" wrote:

How can I enter negative hours when formatted as [h]:mm:ss

eg - 00:32:00 = 32 minutes

Regards

The Rook

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am typing a list of hours paid to an employee in a column as follows then
adding them up:

00:30:00
00:30:00
00:32:00
00:28:00
-00:32:00

This should result 01:28:00

But it will not let me enter -00:32:00

Regards

"The Rook" wrote:

How can I enter negative hours when formatted as [h]:mm:ss

eg - 00:32:00 = 32 minutes

Regards

The Rook

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
the 1900 system wont let you do that as i stated in my post. the 1904 system
seems to let you but i have not worked with the 1904 system. you can try it.
on the menu bar....
toolsoptionscalculate tabcheck 1904 date systemok

Regards
FSt1

"The Rook" wrote:

How can I enter negative hours when formatted as [h]:mm:ss

eg - 00:32:00 = 32 minutes

Regards

The Rook

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can enter the negative times with something like:

=-"00:32:00"
or
=-time(0,32,0)
or
=-32/60/24

And remember that you'll want to format the cell to show the time nicely.

And you'll see ######'s unless you are using the 1904 date system.

Saved from a previous post:

Be aware that any existing date will now be off by 4 years and 1 day. And
copying dates between workbooks becomes a problem, too.

One workbook was using a base year of 1900 and the other was using 1904.
(tools|options|calculation tab|1904 date system)

One way to add those four years back is to find an empty cell, put 1462 into
that cell.

Copy that cell.

Select your range that contains the dates. Edit|PasteSpecial|click Add (in the
operation box).

You may have to reformat the cell as a date (mine turned to a 5 digit number).
But it should work.

You may want to do it against a copy...just in case.

(I'm not sure which one you'll fix. You may want to edit|pastespecial|click
subtract.)

Most windows users use 1900 as the base date. Mac users (mostly??) use 1904 as
the base date.

The Rook wrote:

How can I enter negative hours when formatted as [h]:mm:ss

eg - 00:32:00 = 32 minutes

Regards

The Rook

--