Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Randomly populate a list into empty cells

What I have is a list of 20 word phrases that I need to be randomly assigned
to 6 empty cells. If anyone has any advice, thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Throme88 wrote on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:04:02 -0700:

What I have is a list of 20 word phrases that I need to be
randomly assigned to 6 empty cells. If anyone has any advice,
thank you.

Sort the phrases randomly (helper column with RANDBETWEEN(1,20), say)
and assign the first 6 in order.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See if the following formula will do the trick:

=INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A2:$A397)),RAND BETWEEN(1,1))

Replacing $A:$A in the INDEX function with the column your word or phrases
are in and the range $A2:$A397 in the COUNTA function with the actual range
your words/phrases occupy.

Copy the formula down so it's in 6 rows. In the event the same item gets
selected twice, press F9 to recalc.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin Backmann