Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Double Clicking in Cell-- unwanted move

Can one disable the ittirating Excel behavior of moving you to another cell
when you double click on the border of a cell?
We do a lot of in cell editing, and if one accidentally double clicks on top
border of cell, it moves you to the next empty or last occupied cell above
you. (Just like ctl+Up Arrow, etc.) This can move you to an unwanted location
far away from where you were editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can disable this feature by:
Tools|Options|Edit tab|Uncheck Allow cell drag and drop

But this will disable dragging and dropping (and the autofill button in the
lower right corner of the selected cell).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kim,

There are a couple alternatives, after I searched Google for the answer.

1: You can lose Drag and Drop feature, which will stop this.
ToolsOptionsEdituncheck "Allow Cell Drag and Drop"

2:Excel remembers the last 5 moves made if you were working in a cell, say
you were working in A5, and double-click the border, takes you to cell
A16514, Press F5 and Enter, it will take you back to A5.

3: Pressing F2, instead of double-clicking.

4: Increase the Zoom on the page to eliminate this.

Other than that, there isn't anything that we can do..

--
--Thomas [PBD]
Working hard to make working easy.

"KIM W" wrote:

Can one disable the ittirating Excel behavior of moving you to another cell
when you double click on the border of a cell?
We do a lot of in cell editing, and if one accidentally double clicks on top
border of cell, it moves you to the next empty or last occupied cell above
you. (Just like ctl+Up Arrow, etc.) This can move you to an unwanted location
far away from where you were editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thomas,
I couldn't get #2 below to work. When I press F5 in Excell 2007 I get a
completely blank "Go To" dialog box. Any suggestions?

Best below is F2-- prevent the problem instead of correcting it!

Kim W

"KIM W" wrote:

Can one disable the ittirating Excel behavior of moving you to another cell
when you double click on the border of a cell?
We do a lot of in cell editing, and if one accidentally double clicks on top
border of cell, it moves you to the next empty or last occupied cell above
you. (Just like ctl+Up Arrow, etc.) This can move you to an unwanted location
far away from where you were editing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The F5 option works in Excel 2003 for sure... but the issue with that is
that you have had to have already double-clicked on it once for it to work.
I have not had the opportunity to work with 2007 yet, so I am unaware if this
functionality works the same way. Basically, it is a useless task unless you
do it after you have amended the cell (or atleast been in the formula). Try
double clicking regularly in a cell, then double-clicking the border, it
should work then.