Debbie

Default repeat formulae taking into account previous column's info?

Using Excel 2003. Trying to add up home accounts. Want to copy formulae from
one column to another. Can Excel do this automatically? eg =SUM(B20+C16)
to =SUM(C20+D16) to =SUM(D20+E16) where B, C and D are months, line 16
is the sub total and 20 is the total that I would like to carry through to
the next month. Do I have to keep inputting =SUM etc, or is there someway of
replicating this formula when the computer can change the letter of the
column automatically? Help!
JulieD

Hi Debbie

your formula of =SUM(B20+C16) can be corrected to either
=SUM(B20,C16)
or, better still
=B20+C16

to have Excel automatically change it, all you need to do is to drag it
across the columns
e.g.
type your first formula
=B20+C16
move the mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the cell until you see a
+
hold the left mouse down and drag across the columns as far as you need to
go and then let the mouse go,
Excel will populate the cells with the correct formula for you

Cheers
JulieD