fantasma

Default How to "repeat previous entry" ?

Is there a key (or can one be programed) to enter the "previous entry" into a
cell. (ie, if cell 1a had "abcdef12345" or "123456780" .... and I want to
enter the same information in 2a, can I do it with a single key stroke??)

Any suggestions appreciated.

fantasma

I can't get it to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

In cell 1a, I type 12345
In cell 1a, I enter: ctrl
then: shift, +
then: '

I get a message that it doesn't recognize the formula.

I tried it without the ' in case it wasn't meant to be typed, but it
doesn't work either.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

"fantasma" wrote:

Is there a key (or can one be programed) to enter the "previous entry" into a
cell. (ie, if cell 1a had "abcdef12345" or "123456780" .... and I want to
enter the same information in 2a, can I do it with a single key stroke??)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Gord Dibben

Do not enter/type these command steps.

Hold CRTL key and hit ' key.

Type 12345 in A1

With A2 selected do the above CRTL + '

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"fantasma" wrote:

Is there a key (or can one be programed) to enter the "previous entry" into a
cell. (ie, if cell 1a had "abcdef12345" or "123456780" .... and I want to
enter the same information in 2a, can I do it with a single key stroke??)

Any suggestions appreciated.

fantasma

OK ... I figured it out. I see that you meant to enter: ctrl ' (without
the +)

Thanks for the help ... and pardon my ignorance / misunderstanding!!

"fantasma" wrote:

Is there a key (or can one be programed) to enter the "previous entry" into a
cell. (ie, if cell 1a had "abcdef12345" or "123456780" .... and I want to
enter the same information in 2a, can I do it with a single key stroke??)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Max

Think Bob's suggestion was a combination keystroke,
not an input <g

Try it again ..

Put in A1, say: 12345

Click on A2

Press CTRL + '
(i.e. the CTRL key and the apostrophe key)

You'll see the contents of the cell above,
viz: 12345 "appear" in A2

then just press ENTER to confirm
the entry in A2

--
Rgds
Max

"fantasma" wrote:

Is there a key (or can one be programed) to enter the "previous entry"

into a
cell. (ie, if cell 1a had "abcdef12345" or "123456780" .... and I

want to
enter the same information in 2a, can I do it with a single key

stroke??)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Max

"fantasma" wrote
Thanks again. I alway get good advice from this group!!

Glad you got it figured !
Thanks for the feedback ..
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

K.S.Warrier

hi,
Another way of doing this is
If A1=12345,then in A2,write =A1 and copy it down if required.
Thanks
k.S.Warrier

"Max" wrote:

"fantasma" wrote
Thanks again. I alway get good advice from this group!!

Glad you got it figured !
Thanks for the feedback ..
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

One last alternative:

CTRL+D duplicates the cell from the row above without the need to hit
Enter like you do with CTRL+'
Also, CTRL+R repeats the cell to the left within the same row.