detlghtpd

Default help with a formula (New User)

i just started trying to learn excel. what i want is
to take a long list of text items in column (A) that consist of only five
differant items but in random order grapes, bannanas, apples, ect. I want
to list this weeks price for each in column (B). The price changes weekly so
in
column (C) I want to list only the five differant fruits. and in column (D) i
want to list this weeks price for each fruit.
what i need is a formula that
matches this weeks price (D) to a specific fruit in (C) and then locates the
same fruit in (A) and changes the corresponding price in B

A column B column C column D column
orange orange 1.50
grape grape 2.00
grape apple 3.00
apple bannana .75
orange
bannana
apple
grape

JE McGimpsey

One way:

In B1, enter:

=VLOOKUP(A1, C1:D5, 2, FALSE)

and copy it down as far as necessary.

In article ,
detlghtpd wrote:

[...]

JE McGimpsey

If you use

B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,C:D, 2, FALSE)

and copy down, it will use the entire C:D range as a lookup range.

You can't use a formula to fill in values in other cell(s). For that
you'd need a macro.

and In article ,