Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default printing

Is there any way when I send out my document via email to make it so the
recipients cant print the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I presume you're talking about Excel files? If so, probably the easiest way
is to intercept the Print action for the file and cancel it. To do this you
need to add workbook event code shown below. To put the code into a workbook
in the right place:
right-click on the Excel icon immediately to the left of the word File in
the menu bar and choose [View Code] from the popup list that appears. Copy
and paste in the code below. Then save the file and send via email.

To allow yourself to print it, again right-click on that icon and [View
Code] and just delete the code from the module.

If you want to keep anyone from being able to easily remove the code, you'll
need to password protect the VBA Project - if you need those instructions,
either use HELP in the VB Editor or ask here.

The code:

Cancel = True
End Sub

If you're speaking in generic terms regarding other types of documents
besides Excel files, probably best to get a copy of Adobe Acrobat which will
permit you to convert a file into a .pdf that you can set security on to
prevent (easy) printing. I said (easy) because there is always the
individual who, given enough time, resources and determination, will tear
down almost any wall.

"Felicia" wrote:

Is there any way when I send out my document via email to make it so the
recipients cant print the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see this got double-posted, and some other comments I was going to make
have been covered there. Biggest one being: if you can see it on screen you
can get it printed.
One of the more enjoyable 'jokes' I took part in on the internet involved a
site a company had put up that was selling a product or process that they
'guaranteed' would protect your pictures from being copied. Sure enough
they'd disabled the right-click/save picture as feature. But myself and
several others used screen capturing software to grab what we wanted and
email copies of pictures from their very own site back to them. [OK, so I'm
easily amused at times. But I'm equally amused at those who claim to be able
to stop a moving freight train with a cotton ball.]

"Felicia" wrote:

Is there any way when I send out my document via email to make it so the
recipients cant print the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jaf jaf is offline

Hi Felicia,
Adobe Acrobat can create a PDF file with security options turned so you can
prevent the PDF from being printed.

John