Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set my "Insert" key as a paste command shortcut in Excel

I have set my "Insert" key as a keyboard shortcut to "paste" in Word 2007 and
would like to do the same in Excel 2007, but I can't find where to access
anything that allows me to create my own keyboard shortcuts. Anyone got any
ideas?
I have to add that Microsoft have done an excellent job at hiding and
re-naming most of the everyday functions I used to use in Office 2003, I've
gone from a reasonably proficient expert to a complete and utter know-nothing
novice overnight and Microsoft's built in "help" only sems to tell me what I
already know, but not where they've hidden the button or what it's called
now!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I set my "Insert" key as a paste command shortcut in Ex

Ben,
Thanks for the help, I've downloaded the guides on the weblinks you provided
as they will help with loads of things, but unfortunately I couldn't find
how to assign my own shortcut keys in there.

Andrew

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:

You might find these useful:

*
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC100620751033
(Free online training for using the Ribbon and Fluent interface)
* http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...491511033.aspx (Free
interactive tool to help you find where that 2003 command went in 2007)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Andrew Ball" <Andrew wrote in message
:

I have set my "Insert" key as a keyboard shortcut to "paste" in Word 2007 and
would like to do the same in Excel 2007, but I can't find where to access
anything that allows me to create my own keyboard shortcuts. Anyone got any
ideas?
I have to add that Microsoft have done an excellent job at hiding and
re-naming most of the everyday functions I used to use in Office 2003, I've
gone from a reasonably proficient expert to a complete and utter know-nothing
novice overnight and Microsoft's built in "help" only sems to tell me what I
already know, but not where they've hidden the button or what it's called
now!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First enter the following code into a module of your workbook (or a
module in your Personal.xls to have available to all workbooks):

Sub AssignInsertKey()
Application.OnKey "{INSERT}", "Paste"
End Sub

Sub Paste()
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

Now run just the AssignInsertKey macro. (The AssignInsertKey macro
will automatically initiate the Paste macro.)

Now whenever you do a Copy, all you have to do is hit the Insert Key,
and whatever you copied will be pasted into whatever cell you're in
when you hit Insert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just a couple of additional thoughts...

While I know that you want to use just the single key of Insert to
Paste, the standard 2-key shortcut of Ctrl+V works very nicely in all
Windows applications, and 2 keys isn't really such a hardship.

However, if you really like utilizing the Insert key, note that
without any programming whatsoever, Shift+Insert (while not as
commonly known as Ctrl+V) is also built into Windows as a 2-key Paste
shortcut.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, I had a go, but I think its beyond me, I kept getting error messages,
I'm not really into programming at the level you seem to be so I'm not sure I
was doing it right!
Andrew

"Paul D. Simon" wrote:

First enter the following code into a module of your workbook (or a
module in your Personal.xls to have available to all workbooks):

Sub AssignInsertKey()
Application.OnKey "{INSERT}", "Paste"
End Sub

Sub Paste()
ActiveSheet.Paste
End Sub

Now run just the AssignInsertKey macro. (The AssignInsertKey macro
will automatically initiate the Paste macro.)

Now whenever you do a Copy, all you have to do is hit the Insert Key,
and whatever you copied will be pasted into whatever cell you're in
when you hit Insert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Paul,
Now this is a bit more at my level! Shift and Insert is a good tip, I can do
it with my right hand while my left hand is using the mouse (being left
handed). I know you can do Control and V with one hand as well but it doesn't
flow easily either with the right hand or keep leaving the mouse and using my
left!

Thanks

Andrew

"Paul D. Simon" wrote:

Just a couple of additional thoughts...

While I know that you want to use just the single key of Insert to
Paste, the standard 2-key shortcut of Ctrl+V works very nicely in all
Windows applications, and 2 keys isn't really such a hardship.

However, if you really like utilizing the Insert key, note that
without any programming whatsoever, Shift+Insert (while not as
commonly known as Ctrl+V) is also built into Windows as a 2-key Paste
shortcut.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to have been of help.