Marcia Duckworth

Default Can I make the scroll bar show the row number?

My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the scroll tab and
pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm looking for.
Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way to turn on
this feature in this version?
Gord Dibben

Marcia

This nice feature was not included with Excel 2002 either.

I think it was exchanged for seeing the pixel size when you drag to adjust a
column or change a row height. Yippee!

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:47:04 -0800, "Marcia Duckworth" <Marcia
wrote:

My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the scroll tab and
pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm looking for.
Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way to turn on
this feature in this version?

Dave Peterson

Ahhh. But xl2003 shows the rows as you're scrolling. Your older version didn't
adjust the display--so you need that little bubble.

Now with xl2003 (and xl2002), you can see what row you're actually on when you
scroll.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions.

Fyi, Dave, it's back in XL2007.

--
Jim
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions. And
since
| it doesn't exist, there's nothing you can do to turn it on.
|
| Juan Villarreal wrote:
|
| You never said how to turn it on.
|
| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| Ahhh. But xl2003 shows the rows as you're scrolling. Your older
version didn't
| adjust the display--so you need that little bubble.
|
| Now with xl2003 (and xl2002), you can see what row you're actually on
when you
| scroll.
|
| Marcia Duckworth wrote:
|
| My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the scroll
tab and
| pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm
looking for.
| Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way to
turn on
| this feature in this version?
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson
|

| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the clarification.

Does that mean that live scrolling is gone or that xl2007 does live scrolling
and shows the tooltip?

And is there a way to turn it on/off in xl2007?

(In case the OP wanted to.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does that mean that live scrolling is gone or that xl2007 does live
scrolling

and shows the tooltip?

XL2007 does both, Dave. I don't know of a way to turn either off.

--
Jim
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| Thanks for the clarification.
|
| Does that mean that live scrolling is gone or that xl2007 does live
scrolling
| and shows the tooltip?
|
| And is there a way to turn it on/off in xl2007?
|
| (In case the OP wanted to.)
|
| Jim Rech wrote:
|
| You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions.
|
| Fyi, Dave, it's back in XL2007.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| | You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions.
And
| since
| | it doesn't exist, there's nothing you can do to turn it on.
| |
| | Juan Villarreal wrote:
| |
| | You never said how to turn it on.
| |
| | "Dave Peterson" wrote:
| |
| | Ahhh. But xl2003 shows the rows as you're scrolling. Your older
| version didn't
| | adjust the display--so you need that little bubble.
| |
| | Now with xl2003 (and xl2002), you can see what row you're actually
on
| when you
| | scroll.
| |
| | Marcia Duckworth wrote:
| |
| | My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the
scroll
| tab and
| | pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm
| looking for.
| | Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way
| turn on
| | this feature in this version?
| |
| | --
| |
| | Dave Peterson
| |
| |
| | --
| |
| | Dave Peterson
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jim.

Someday, I'll be installing Office 2007 <bg.

Jim Rech wrote:

Does that mean that live scrolling is gone or that xl2007 does live
scrolling

and shows the tooltip?

XL2007 does both, Dave. I don't know of a way to turn either off.

--
Jim
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| Thanks for the clarification.
|
| Does that mean that live scrolling is gone or that xl2007 does live
scrolling
| and shows the tooltip?
|
| And is there a way to turn it on/off in xl2007?
|
| (In case the OP wanted to.)
|
| Jim Rech wrote:
|
| You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions.
|
| Fyi, Dave, it's back in XL2007.
|
| --
| Jim
| "Dave Peterson" wrote in message
| | You don't need it in xl2002+, so it doesn't exist in those versions.
And
| since
| | it doesn't exist, there's nothing you can do to turn it on.
| |
| | Juan Villarreal wrote:
| |
| | You never said how to turn it on.
| |
| | "Dave Peterson" wrote:
| |
| | Ahhh. But xl2003 shows the rows as you're scrolling. Your older
| version didn't
| | adjust the display--so you need that little bubble.
| |
| | Now with xl2003 (and xl2002), you can see what row you're actually
on
| when you
| | scroll.
| |
| | Marcia Duckworth wrote:
| |
| | My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the
scroll
| tab and
| | pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm
| looking for.
| | Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way
| turn on
| | this feature in this version?
| |
| | --
| |
| | Dave Peterson
| |
| |
| | --
| |

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am having somewhat of the same issue. XL2003 does not show the "Row:" or
"column:" when i am dragging them, but another machine with with office 2007
does. The usewr on the 2003 machines said it use to show the "Row:x Column:y"
but does not. She does not remember what she did to turn it off. Any
suggestions?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Turn what on?

In 2002 and 2003 the sheet scrolls as you use the scrollbar arrows so you can
see where you are.

Nothing to "turn on"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Marcia Duckworth wrote:

My previous version showed the row number as I clicked on the scroll tab and
pulled it up or down, making for easy location of the line I'm looking for.
Excel 2003 does not show the line (row) number. Is there a way to turn on
this feature in this version?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MS turned that feature off (in xl2002, I think)--when they added the live
scrolling.

I guess enough people complained about it because MS added it back in xl2007.

Tell the user that she remembers xl2k (or maybe xl97???).