Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating time in minutes

I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a project. I
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I enter the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter the formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a project. I
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, it will give you the total minutes. I am sure you overlooked that
I used [mm]
note the brackets. You probably used mm which will only go up to 59 minutes
However if you include the brackets it will show larger values

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ah, thanks for the clarification. You're right, I didn't use the brackets.

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you intend to do calculation like if you have pay rates
that use minutes than you should convert it to decimal by
multiplying with 1440 (60*24), if not it is better to use
a custom format since it will save a little bit of
computing resources. [hh]:mm will display hours
24 and greater. x*24 formatted as general or number
will be the equivalent decimal hours

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a
project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter
the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great info. Thanks again for the help.

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a
project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter
the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok one ore question. If I enter that formula into a cell, it will default to
puting two 0's in the cell until data is put in the other cells. Is there any
way to have it not show a 00 value until data is entered in the other cells.
It's no big deal, just looks cleaner if there aren't a bunch of 0's in the
spreadsheet.

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo, I
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a
project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes. IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I enter
the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there can never be a zero value you can use

[mm];;

as a custom format, if it is OK with one zero you can use

[m]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo,
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't
calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use custom format [mm]

Peo Sjoblom

"Kurt S" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that I enter the start and end times of a
project.
would like to be able to calculate the time spent in minutes.
IE. I
enter
the
time I started in cell C1 and the end time in cell C2. If I
enter
the
formula
"=C2-C1" it will calculate the time, but it does it in hours
and
minutes.
What formula can I use to calculate the time in minutes only?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The [mm];; worked perfect. That's exactly what I wanted. Again, thanks for
all your help.

"Kurt S" wrote in message
Thanks for the answers guys. Mike, your formula worked great. Peo,
had
tried that already. It just gave me the minutes, and didn't
calculate
the
hours into minutes.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote: