Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Read Input file and highlight matches in excel

Hello All,

I was wondering if it was possible to read a text input file and compare
that list to see if it exists in excel. If it does, can we highlight the
entire row. This way, I can delete the un-lighted rows. The row that we
want to compare or match is in Column A.

Example:

Text Input file:
---------------
OR-MyTestfile
OR-StateofUnion
OR-WhereAreYouFrom

Excel Spreadsheet
--------------------
A B C
1 OR-MyTestFile FileName Location Size
2 OR-YourNameIs FirstName EastWing 10mb
3 OR-StateofUnion WhichState City Zipcode
4 OR-HowOldAreYou Age DOD Year
5 OR-WhereAreYouFrom Born Date Time

With the above example, the following ENTIRE ROW if possible, would be
highlighted (1,3,5)

Side note:
The Input text file is created by manually extracting those names from
muttilple sources.

End Results:
Only keep those rows that are highlighted

Any and all help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you can get your data into two different worksheets of the same workbook, you
could add some headers and use a formula to mark the matches.

Say Sheet2 is the text input file version and Sheet1 contains your data.

Insert a new column B:
Add a header in B1
In B2:
=isnumber(match(a2,sheet2!a:a,0))
and drag down

You'll see True or false for each line.

Apply data|filter|autofilter to column B.
Show the lines you want to delete (False)
Delete the visible rows
remove the autofilter.

Chip Pearson has lots of techniques to work with duplicates:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

--

Dave Peterson