Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I sort A1 THROUGH F26 alphabetically?

I have columns A through F. Each column has 26 rows with inventory items
(text). When I try to sort it, it sorts BY column A and the other columns
remain unsorted. Apparently, I can only sort each column separately but I
need the items in ALL of the columns to be sorted together.

Is there a way to do this?

BTW, I'm using Excel 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are saying that it is not taking the other coloumns along for the
sort,

c b
b h
a g

becomes

a b
b h
a g

then:

Excel should sort all of this automatically. If it is not doing so, it
is because it is not able to recognize all of your coloumns. You have
two options.

1) Select all of the Coloumns, and all of the rows, THEN choose Sort.
2) Make sure every coloum has a heading, and every row in the first
coloumn has data.

If you are saying that you want to sort each coloum seperately:

c b
b h
a g

becomes

a b
b g
a h

Then you are going to have to select and sort each coloumn seperately.
Excel is designed to assume that each row is a single record, and
therefore, all coloums within that row should stay together. Move a4 to
a2, then you move b4 c4 and d4 to b2 c2 and d2, because that are all
part of the same data.

Think name address and zip code. You would not want to sort names
without moving the zipcode along with it.

Phil

Meer wrote:
I have columns A through F. Each column has 26 rows with inventory items
(text). When I try to sort it, it sorts BY column A and the other columns
remain unsorted. Apparently, I can only sort each column separately but I
need the items in ALL of the columns to be sorted together.

Is there a way to do this?

BTW, I'm using Excel 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe I should give you an example of what I'm trying to do:

I want..

A B C
Name Name Name
Greg Peter Alice
Marcia Cindy Carol
Bobby Jan Mike

to look like...

A B C
Name Name Name
Alice Cindy Marcia
Bobby Greg Mike
Carol Jan Peter

Instead of...

A B C
Name Name Name
Bobby Peter Alice
Greg Cindy Carol
Marcia Jan Mike

Meer wrote:
I have columns A through F. Each column has 26 rows with inventory items
(text). When I try to sort it, it sorts BY column A and the other columns
remain unsorted. Apparently, I can only sort each column separately but I
need the items in ALL of the columns to be sorted together.

Is there a way to do this?

BTW, I'm using Excel 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel cannot sort the way you want. It is built to sort by columns, and
preserve the rows they are on.

Your best bet is to put all the names in one column.

Your other, more difficult option, is to build a macro.

Regards,
Fred.