Dummy

Default dissect large number

How do I dissect a large number (one column) into four (columns) keeping
their own identity. I have a software that download (chart of accounts) into
excel but this number is conected with activities during the year, and I like
to break down into the Assets, revenue, inventory, expenses. example
1111400000 (one column) into 1-1114-00-000 (four columns) "Assets".
--
Dummy Workalcholic
Fredrik Wahlgren

"Dummy" wrote in message
How do I dissect a large number (one column) into four (columns) keeping
their own identity. I have a software that download (chart of accounts)

into
excel but this number is conected with activities during the year, and I

like
to break down into the Assets, revenue, inventory, expenses. example
1111400000 (one column) into 1-1114-00-000 (four columns) "Assets".
--
Dummy Workalcholic

Assuming 1111400000 is in A1, enter

=LEFT(A1,1) in cell B1
=MID(A1,2,4) in cell C1
=MID(A1,6,2) in cell D1
=MID(A1,8,3) in cell E1

/Fredrik

Fred Smith

You use a combination of Mod and Int. Your four columns would be:

=int(a1/1000000000)
=mod(int(a1/10000),10)
=mod(int(a1/1000),100)
=mod(a1,1000)

Fred
Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

"Dummy" wrote in message
How do I dissect a large number (one column) into four (columns) keeping
their own identity. I have a software that download (chart of accounts)
into
excel but this number is conected with activities during the year, and I
like
to break down into the Assets, revenue, inventory, expenses. example
1111400000 (one column) into 1-1114-00-000 (four columns) "Assets".
--
Dummy Workalcholic

Gord Dibben

Dum

If numbers are consistent you could use DataText to ColumnsFixed Width to
break into 4 columns.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP