Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default arguments in a formula

is there a limit to how many arguments you can use in a formula? to be
specific the vlookup formula.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before Excel2007, no function could accept more than 30 arguments. But many functions (still) accept only a limited number of
arguments. VLOOKUP accepts a maximum of 4 arguments:

1. the lookup value
2. the table array
3. the column number
4. (optional) the range lookup

What would you like to do?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"chrisbmo2000" wrote in message
| is there a limit to how many arguments you can use in a formula? to be
| specific the vlookup formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The VLOOKUP function can accept a maximum of 4 arguments:

1. lookup_value
2. table_array
3. column_index_number
4. [optional] range_lookup

However, to complicate matters, each argument can be calculated using other
functions that have their own set of arguments.

So, I think you need to be a bit more specific as to what you're wanting to
do!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"chrisbmo2000" wrote in message
is there a limit to how many arguments you can use in a formula? to be
specific the vlookup formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would like to display product name and price with one vlookup formula if
possible but the info is in 2 diffrent columns

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Before Excel2007, no function could accept more than 30 arguments. But many functions (still) accept only a limited number of
arguments. VLOOKUP accepts a maximum of 4 arguments:

1. the lookup value
2. the table array
3. the column number
4. (optional) the range lookup

What would you like to do?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"chrisbmo2000" wrote in message
| is there a limit to how many arguments you can use in a formula? to be
| specific the vlookup formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chrisbmo

If you had the following in columns A,B and C then a concatenate text formula;
=A1&" "&B1&"/"&C1
would give the result shown in column D. And if you want to lookup the price
then just substitute a lookup formula instead of the cell reference eg
=A1&" "&VLOOKUP(A1,A1:B3,2,FALSE)&"/"&C1

Apples $2.65 kg Apples $2.65/kg
Oranges $1.50 kg Oranges $1.50/kg
Pears $1.00 kg Pears $1.00/kg

"T. Valko" wrote:

The VLOOKUP function can accept a maximum of 4 arguments:

1. lookup_value
2. table_array
3. column_index_number
4. [optional] range_lookup

However, to complicate matters, each argument can be calculated using other
functions that have their own set of arguments.

So, I think you need to be a bit more specific as to what you're wanting to
do!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"chrisbmo2000" wrote in message
is there a limit to how many arguments you can use in a formula? to be
specific the vlookup formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use 2 VLOOKUP formulas or use two in one cell:

=VLOOKUP1&" "&VLOOKUP2