Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Turning off the default date input

I have several account numbers that looks like dates like: 2310-10-10 and
when down loading from my accounting system excell changes it to 10/10/2310.
I have to manually go to each cell to change to text and then type the
correct number.
Does anybody know a way arround this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is really a pain since a lot of
my account numbers are convert to dates when downloaded.
thanks,
Hanne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How do you download them, from a .csv file or a .txt file? If so then
you can use the data import wizard and set those fields as text.

Do you have any influence on how the data is extracted from your
accounting system? If so then you might like to get the account
numbers in the form 2310_10_10 or use some other character that Excel
does not associate with dates.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 30, 1:40*pm, Hanne wrote:
I have several account numbers that looks like dates like: 2310-10-10 and
when down loading from my accounting system excell changes it to 10/10/2310.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete,
I have no controll over the export, just a button in my financial system and
my reports open in excel,
Hanne