Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VBA Link - Previous post unclear

I have asked before but I'm afraid my posts were unclear.

I have a "Summary" Worksheet and 4 "Weekly" Worksheets. I need to link only
two cells from the "Weekly" sheets to the "Summary" sheet. i.e.

"Worksheet "Week One" sends data "Names" from Col E10:E39 to "Summary" sheet
Col C8:C37 along with sending data "Points" in "Week One" sheet Col C10:C39
to Col F8:F37 in "Summary" sheet.

"Worksheet "Week Two" sends data "Names" from Col E10:E39 to "Summary" sheet
Col C8:C37 along with sending data "Points" in "Week Two" sheet Col C10:C39
to Col G8:G37 in "Summary" sheet.

"Worksheet "Week Three" sends data "Names" from Col E10:E39 to "Summary"
sheet Col C8:C37 along with sending data "Points" in "Week Three" sheet Col
C10:C39 to Col H8:H37 in "Summary" sheet.

Worksheet "Week Four" sends data "Names" from Col E10:E39 to "Summary" sheet
Col C8:C37 along with sending data "Points" in "Week Four" sheet Col C10:C39
to Col I8:I37 in "Summary" sheet.

All "Points" (Col C10) in "Weekly" sheets are Formula driven.

I need to maintain the relationship between the Names and Points in all 5
Worksheets

Perhaps this is a bit clearer.

Any help?

Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Robert
You say "I need to link only two cells from the "Weekly" sheets to the
"Summary" sheet." But then you talk about "sending" data from some 38 cells
in each weekly sheet to the Summary sheet. No, this is not any clearer.
What do you mean when you say "send"? Do you want one cell simply linked to
another cell in another sheet? It would be much clearer if you just
pretended to be doing all this manually and telling someone, who knows
nothing about what you doing, what you are doing, in great detail. HTH
Otto
"robert morris" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto

Thanks for your comments. I think what I meant with the two cells comment
was, I thought I might just copy the the Columns down as needed. As for the
"send", I thought as I posted the Weekly Worksheet, Excel would post the
needed data in the Summary sheet. In my layman's language, I need to have
the contents of Cell C10:C39 of the Week's results populate the Cells of
F8:F37 in the Summary Sheet. The same applies to Week's 2, 3 and 4 except
for the Col's G, H and I.

Does this help?

Bob

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Robert
Are you saying that you want cells C10:C39 of the First week sheet
copied to cells F8:F37 of the Summary sheet? And week 2's data would go
into column G, week 3's to column H, and week 4's to column I? That's easy
to do. Now the question: What do you want to use as the trigger to make
this happen? You say "...I thought as I posted the Weekly Worksheet, Excel
would post the needed data in the Summary sheet." I take "post" to mean
that you enter data in the weekly sheet. That's fine, but you are entering
data in some 19 cells. Excel needs a specific event to act on. Maybe when
you enter data into cell C39? Would that work for you?
Also, Excel needs to know something about the name of each week sheet or
something about each week sheet so that Excel will know where to put the
data. In other words, what about each sheet identifies that sheet as week 1
or week 2, etc?
Also, are there just 4 week sheets? Are there any non-week sheets besides
the Summary sheet? Excel needs to know to work on this sheet but not on
that sheet. Otto

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto,

Sorry for the delay in my answer. Someone ran over the Telephone Terminal
Box for my neighborhood and the phone company just finished the repairs. I
have not had a phone or internet for almost a full day.

Yes, C10:C39 copies to F8:F37 of the Summary Sheet, C10:C39 of Week Two to
G8:G37 of the Summary, ect. Each of the four Weekly Sheets has the persons
name in Column E10:E39 which should also copy to the Summary Sheet Column
C8:C37. I "sort" each Week's scores from Col C and the Names and Scores for
each person need to remain together. After each Week's postings to the
Standings Sheet, it then is also "Sorted"

As to the "trigger", I have another Workbook (unrelated to this one) in
which I use a Macro to "post" the info to the Summary Sheet. A Macro would
work better for this application as Column C of the Weekly Sheets is the
Result of 9 other catagories on the Weekly report.

The Weekly Sheets are simply identified as Week One, Week Two, Week Three &
Week Four.

At this point, the 4 Weeks Reports and the Summary Sheet are all that are in
this Workbook, although at some point in time I could expand the 4 Weekly's
to possibly 12 but not now.

Thanks for your interest.

Bob

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Robert
You misunderstood what I meant by "the trigger". Yes, a macro will have
to be written to do this. What I was asking was what do you want to use as
the trigger that makes the macro run? You can initiate the macro manually
but I gathered from what you said before that you wanted the data to be
placed in the Summary sheet when you put it in the week sheets. That
implies some sort of automation to trigger the macro to run. So I'm asking
you when do you want this macro to run?
The names thing is a facet of this that you hadn't mentioned before. You
say the names are in E10:E37 of each week sheet. Are the names in each week
sheet different? If so, in what column of the Summary sheet do you want the
names from each week sheet? Or maybe all the names are the same for each
week sheet and you want just one set of names placed in E10:E37 of the
Summary sheet? Otto

&

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto,

I use Ctrl Z on my other similar Workbook. Works fine.

As to the "Names", I have shown them on all my posts. The "Names" are the
same in all 4 Weekly Sheets in Column E10:E39 and are in Col C8:C37 in the
Summary Sheet and need to maintain the integrity of Name and Results of each
person.

I'm sorry my explainations are so vague.

I think I need a "101 class" in asking my questions properly.

Thanks,

Bob

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Robert
Here is a macro that should be what you're looking for. Come back if
you need more or you need to change it.
The trigger: You said that you use Ctrl-Z in your other file. That's fine
and you can use the same thing on this file. But be aware that Excel has a
number of built-in key shortcuts that use this same format, Ctrl-X, where X
is some letter. You don't want to tangle with any of the built-in shortcut
keys and the best way to ensure that you don't is to use Ctrl-Shift-X where
X is the letter of your choice. Either way, you need to set this up in your
file yourself.
This macro is written with the following assumptions:
The file has a sheet named "Summary".
The file can contain many other sheets with many other names, but Excel will
work with ONLY those sheets have "Week" as the first 4 characters in the
sheet name and whose names appear in the "Select Case" command in the macro.
These sheet names in the "Select Case" command MUST MATCH EXACTLY the actual
names of the week sheets.
You can add more week sheets as you wish and modify the "Select Case"
command by simply adding "Case" lines. Note that "TheCol" is the column
number in the Summary sheet in which you want the particular week sheet data
to go.
This macro copies C10:C39 in each week sheet and places it in row 8 of the
appropriate column in the Summary sheet. It also copies E10:E39 in the "Week
One" sheet and places that in C8 of the Summary sheet.
Don't fret needing "101 class" when asking questions. Unless you are
familiar with programming, it is virtually impossible to realize the level
of minute detail that must be known when writing code. HTH Otto
Sub PostData()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim TheCol As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Sheets("Summary").Select
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
If Left(ws.Name, 4) = "Week" Then
Select Case ws.Name
Case "Week One": TheCol = 6
Case "Week Two": TheCol = 7
Case "Week Three": TheCol = 8
Case "Week Four": TheCol = 9
End Select
With ws
.Range("C10:C39").Copy Cells(8, TheCol)
If ws.Name = "Week One" Then _
.Range("E10:E39").Copy Range("C8")
End With
End If
Next ws
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Otto,

This is close to working. I copied the VBA?Macro to the Summary Sheet.
Used Ctrl z to run. "Names" in E10:E39 from Week One (that is all I have
worked on) copied to proper column C8:C37 of the Summary Sheet.

Problem is, the "Names" also copied to Col F of the Summary.

The numbers/data in Col C10:C39 of Week One should copy to Col F of the
Summary.

Bob

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob
It works fine for me. The part of the code that does the
copying/pasting is:
With ws
.Range("C10:C39").Copy Cells(8, TheCol)
If ws.Name = "Week One" Then _
.Range("E10:E39").Copy Range("C8")
End With
You can see that the only time that it copies anything from Column E is when
it's working with sheet "Week One" and then it pastes that (the names) only
to C8. The code never copies/pastes from column E to column F
The file I used to develop this code has names in Column E of the "Week One"
sheet and data in column C of each of 4 week sheets. Apparently you and I
are doing something different. If you wish, send me your file via email and
I'll look at it. My email is . Remove the
"extra" from this address. Otto