Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2000 questions

I have three questions regarding an invoice I created on Excel 2000.

1. How can I get the date to automatically update?

2. I'm trying to get it to put in invoice number in on each invoice. I'm
not sure how to do this I was wondering if it could updating the invoice
number every time I open the program?

3. I have a lookup function in the invoice when I can scan the bar code and
it bring up the item, however some of the bar codes are not in my system so
they bring up the closest thing, I was wondering if I could set it to bring
up an exact match or nothing at all?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Answers to your questions:

1. Use =TODAY() in the cell for date rather than type a new date in.

2. The following link shows how automatic invoice numbering can be
implemented:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

3. In your VLOOKUP formula use a fourth parameter set to 0 (or FALSE)
to get an exact match. If you use this and there is no exact match you
will have #N/A returned, but you can intecept this by:

=IF(ISNA(vlookup( ... )),"missing",vlookup( ... ))

or whatever you want instead of "missing".

Hope this helps.

Pete