Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Parsing formatted data

I received a spreadsheet with the address already pre-formatted for a label
but I need to parse that data into individual fields. The pre-formatted data
has a next line/carriage return at the end of each line. How do I do a parse
when the delimiter is several carriage returns within a single cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the delimiter is the alt-enter (like you use when you force a new line in a
cell), you can try this:

Select the single column range to parse.
Data|Text to columns (xl2003 menus)
delimited
and check other
Use ctrl-j (hold the control key when you hit lower case j)

And finish up.

Does it work?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi DP,
Amazing!
How are mere mortals supposed to know this? I can't find it in the Help.
Regards - Dave.

Tufts wrote:

I received a spreadsheet with the address already pre-formatted for a label
but I need to parse that data into individual fields. The pre-formatted data
has a next line/carriage return at the end of each line. How do I do a parse
when the delimiter is several carriage returns within a single cell?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're too young!

Back in the caveman days of pcs, there was DOS and there were text editors (aka
stoneage wordprocessors). Lots of text editors reacted to the ctrl-j to insert
a line feed (ctrl-n forced a page break, IIRC).

If you hang around these here newsgroups long enough, you'll see people suggest
using alt-0010 (using the number pad keys).

ctrl-j is the equivalent, but it's easier to explain and do.

======
You may find some stuff on the web like:

We all were^h^h^h^hare happy.

^h was the destructive backspace.
^g was the bell character (really!)
^m was the carriage control (different from line feed)
if ^l was sent to the printer, it ejected the page.

And people think Windows is a pain to learn <hehehe

Tufts wrote:

I received a spreadsheet with the address already pre-formatted for a label
but I need to parse that data into individual fields. The pre-formatted data
has a next line/carriage return at the end of each line. How do I do a parse
when the delimiter is several carriage returns within a single cell?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey, thanks for the history lesson. I was a computer newbie in Dos days. My
first PC ran Windows 3.1!! Dos was just the weird stuff in the background. I
quickly discovered that if I played there, I could mess up real fast.
Regards - Dave.