Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula with cell column from cell text

Hi,

I need to put a column letter in a cell (i.e. n), and then have the
formula refer to it as part of a cell reference.

More specifically, on the end of this formula, you will see n38 -
=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*N38),0)

So n in n38 needs to be a variable, where it picks up n from another
cell. Then I can do mass copying instead of copying and editing
hundreds of cells.

Much appreciated!

Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could change the N38 to INDEX($A$1&ROW(A38)) if "N" is in A1, then
this will become effectively N38, N39, N40 etc when it is copied down
- is this what you want:

Pete

On Apr 24, 5:39*pm, mjones wrote:
Hi,

I need to put a column letter in a cell (i.e. n), and then have the
formula refer to it as part of a cell reference.

More specifically, on the end of this formula, you will see n38 -
=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*N38),0)

So n in n38 needs to be a variable, where it picks up n from another
cell. *Then I can do mass copying instead of copying and editing
hundreds of cells.

Much appreciated!

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 24, 5:39 pm, mjones wrote:

Hi,

I need to put a column letter in a cell (i.e. n), and then have the
formula refer to it as part of a cell reference.

More specifically, on the end of this formula, you will see n38 -
=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*N38),0)

So n in n38 needs to be a variable, where it picks up n from another
cell. Then I can do mass copying instead of copying and editing
hundreds of cells.

Much appreciated!

Michele

Hi Pete,

This is the idea, except I get an error that there are too few
arguments. Here is what I have, where n is in AS37.

=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*INDEX($AS
$37&ROW(A38))),0)

Thanks!

Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, my mistake - should have been INDIRECT and not INDEX !!

Pete

On Apr 24, 5:39 pm, mjones wrote:

Hi,

I need to put a column letter in a cell (i.e. n), and then have the
formula refer to it as part of a cell reference.

More specifically, on the end of this formula, you will see n38 -
=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*N38),0)

So n in n38 needs to be a variable, where it picks up n from another
cell. *Then I can do mass copying instead of copying and editing
hundreds of cells.

Much appreciated!

Michele

Hi Pete,

This is the idea, except I get an error that there are too few
arguments. *Here is what I have, where n is in AS37.

=IF($L38=OFFSET(AV38,-1,0),IF($C38=0," Amount?",$C38*INDEX($AS
$37&ROW(A38))),0)

Thanks!

Michele- Hide quoted text -