Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Form

I have a command button activate the standard Data form for a sheet as I have
no idea how to create a customer form to update records. My question is this
- is there anyway to edit the standard form - really what I want is to
disable the 'New' button so that users do not use it to create new records -
there is a custom form for this.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all very new to me. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think so.

John Walkenbach has an enhanced data form:
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

And the source code is available for a small fee ($20 USA, IIRC). So you can
modify it as much as you want.

And if that's not sufficient, then maybe you could design your own input
userform.

Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...FormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ormsPartII.asp

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

I thought as much. I have already built a user input form (thanks to
Debra's site) but the problem I have with that is I do not know how to get it
to update existing data rather than enter new data.

What I want to achieve with this form is for the user to make changes to an
existing record.

I will check out Peter's site and see if that sheds any light on the correct
coding needed to update.

Thanks

Leanne wrote:

I have a command button activate the standard Data form for a sheet as I have
no idea how to create a customer form to update records. My question is this
- is there anyway to edit the standard form - really what I want is to
disable the 'New' button so that users do not use it to create new records -
there is a custom form for this.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all very new to me. Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

Yes sorry about not replying to that. In that instance I was not able to
get it to work but did eventually resolve it - with help so can not replicate
it!

Belive it or not that was a totally different form to the one I am trying to
create.

Are you willing to communicate via email? Either way, so that I provide the
right information, what would you need to know to start with?

Sorry I am really new at this side of Excel - give me a formula or chart and
I am fine!

Leanne wrote:

I have a command button activate the standard Data form for a sheet as I have
no idea how to create a customer form to update records. My question is this
- is there anyway to edit the standard form - really what I want is to
disable the 'New' button so that users do not use it to create new records -
there is a custom form for this.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all very new to me. Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By keeping the discussion in the newsgroups, you'll get a lot of potential
responders.

You may want to post the details that make this a different problem.

Leanne wrote:

I have a command button activate the standard Data form for a sheet as I have
no idea how to create a customer form to update records. My question is this
- is there anyway to edit the standard form - really what I want is to
disable the 'New' button so that users do not use it to create new records -
there is a custom form for this.

Any help would be appreciated as this is all very new to me. Thanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes I understand.

It is the same problem in that I need information from the form to be
returned to the existing record rather than create a new record.

This I do not know how to right.

What I want is -
A form that can take data from a specified sheet (which is hidden but that
can change if necessary) and populate the form. Then when changes are made
to the entry the specified sheet is updated with that information for that
particular record.

The sheet is called 'Internal Sales Report' and the unique field would be
'Site Name' and there would be a total of 18 fields (including Site Name)
that need to be displayed on the form. I do not know the number of rows but
I have worked to the potential of 298 (to row 300 for simplicity). Several
of the fields would be comboboxes and as these ranges are defined elsewhere I
am ok with this part.

What I do not know is how to populate the form with existing data and update
the file with changes made on the form.

I hope I have given the right information