Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to copy a conditional sum, but change the column

I have used the conditional sum wizard to create a sum of a column for
period 1 based on certain criteria. I can copy this conditional sum to the
next column for period 2 using the same criteria, but of course it is working
out the sum based on period 1 column data. I tried to go into the fourmula
bar and change the column cell reference. This action deletes the {} at
front and back of the formula. When I type them in again. The function of
hte conditional sum formula is lost.

Is there a way to achieve what I am trying to do without having to use the
conditional sum wizard on every column?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As it is an array formula, Excel indicates this by means of the curly
braces { } around the formula when viewed in the formula bar. An array
formula must be committed using the key combination of CTRL-SHIFT-
ENTER (CSE) instead of the normal ENTER - do not type the curly braces
yourself.

So, once you have amended the formula, just use CSE to commit it
again.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 11, 10:27*pm, Stabilos
wrote:
I have used the conditional sum wizard to create a sum of a column *for
period 1 based on certain criteria. *I can copy this conditional sum to the
next column for period 2 using the same criteria, but of course it is working
out the sum based on period 1 column data. *I tried to go into the fourmula
bar and change the column cell reference. *This action deletes the {} at
front and back of the formula. *When I type them in again. The function of
hte conditional sum formula is lost.

Is there a way to achieve what I am trying to do without having to use the
conditional sum wizard on every column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to hear it - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Apr 11, 10:52*pm, Stabilos
Thanks for your help Pete. *That works a treat.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The {=formula} means the formula is an Array formula.

When editing use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER instead of just ENTER

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP