Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Error opening in German Excel

We have a workbook that is used in five languages. Our German users
are getting this error when they open the file:

"Excel ist auf einen Fehler gestoßen und musste einige Formatierungen
entfernen, um eine Beschädigung der Arbeitsmappe zu vermeiden. Bitte
überprüfen Sie die Formatierungen Ihrer Arbeitsmappe sorgfältig."

One of our German colleagues translated it for us as:

"Excel has detected an error and had to remove some formatting rules
to avoid damaging the file. Please check the formatting of your
spreadsheet carefully."

We can reproduce the problem using the German language pack for Office
2007. If we click OK on the error, we don't see any changes. If we
save and reopen in German Excel, the error message is gone.

But, if we open and save it in English Excel, then open it in German
Excel, the problem is back.

We make frequent changes to this file. We would prefer to remove, if
possible, whatever it is that German Excel doesn't like, than to have
to always switch to German Excel, and open and save in German Excel,
and switch back to English Excel, every time we make a change.

Any ideas what German Excel might not like, that would result in that
error message?

Thanks,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 9, 9:23 am, Greg Lovern wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add:

I also found this small forum thread about that error message in
German:

http://www.herber.de/forum/archiv/776to780/t779177.htm

But I didn't learn much from a babelfish translation of it.

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

I deleted all worksheets (after adding a new, default sheet so that
deleting all of the others would be allowed), and I deleted all VBA
and userforms. The result just looks like a blank sheet.

And yet I still get the error. Any suggestions?

Next step, I'm going to try copying all worksheets, VBA, & userforms
to a new workbook, to test for workbook corruption.

Thanks,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 9, 11:22 am, Greg Lovern wrote:

Next step, I'm going to try copying all worksheets, VBA, & userforms
to a new workbook, to test for workbook corruption.

That test failed too, so it doesn't appear to be workbook corruption.

Any suggestions:

Thanks,

Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 9, 11:48 am, Greg Lovern wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:22 am, Greg Lovern wrote:

Next step, I'm going to try copying all worksheets, VBA, & userforms
to a new workbook, to test for workbook corruption.

That test failed too, so it doesn't appear to be workbook corruption.

It turns we have the same problem with our other 11 German workbooks.
I think it's looking more like an Excel bug than workbook corruption.

Greg