Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default error message

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
if it's trying to run at open, it probably a worksheet open event code and
would be located in the thisworkbook module not a standard module. check
there. exactly why it "can't be found" is puzzling.

my thoughts
FSt1

"Edward" wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thats exacly what I'm wondering about. Plus now whenever open any other Excel
file it is part of the project in VBA project editor list!
--
Best regards,
Edward

"Edward" wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe you have a reference to it in that first workbook's project.

Open the workbook (ignore the message)
open the VBE (use alt-f11)
select your project in the project explorer
check under Tools|references for anything that is checked.

Edward wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave, I've already checked that and there is no refrence to that
workbook and this project is not in XLStart fodler and also is not in my
Addin list and in fact using windows search I couldnt find any file under
that name in my computer ! so the question is how can I get rid of it?
--
Best regards,
Edward

Edward wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe it's time to share the exact wording of the error message.

It sounded like a macro was starting to run, but you said that there are no
macros in that workbook's project (and you did check under all the worksheet
modules and the ThisWorkbook module and General modules, right???).

If it's not a macro, maybe it's a link (difficult to guess based on the error
message you shared) that's causing that trouble.

I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
to search for any broken links (like a UDF used in a cell).

If that doesn't help, then I'd do some detective work--maybe it's not anything
in the workbook you're opening--maybe something is happening when you start
excel.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

If none of this helps, copy down the exact wording that you see and include it
in your follow up.

It may help others help you.

Edward wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave ,
I don't know what was causing that particular workbook to attach itself to
every excel file I was saving but after I repaired my Excel and shut down my
computer it was fixed but regarding the error message it was caused by a
link I used Bill Manville's utility software to find the link(it was a link
to . XML file ) and after I removed the link that weror mesage was gone !
..Thanks to you and Bill for this software .
Just one more question you might know the answer how could I find this link
without using this software because the link in Excel was grayed out so I
wonder if Excel offeres anything for finding links in a workbook?
Thanks again
--
Best regards,
Edward

Edward wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the link is used in a formula in a cell, you might be able to search for
every extension that you can think of--like .xls, .xla, .xlt.

Or search for either the square open bracket or close bracket ([]).

Just use edit|find to do the search.

Edward wrote:

hi everybody,
I have an EXcel file that every time opens gives me a error message telling
me
\\abc.net\efg\hij which has been asigned to run each time this file opens
can not find .
I checekd the workbook there is no macro in it also I searched all formulas
to see if there is formula refrencing that specific file in our server but no
luck!
Any thoughts?

--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't forget to check for links in InsertNameDefine

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP