Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date Formatting & Sorting

Hi All,

I am having a serious issue - i have entered date values to column and now i
want to sort them on the basis of dates only. Problem is some are getting
sorted but not all the rows. Data is as follows -

4/9/2003
5/12/2003
5/12/2003
8/12/2003
10/10/2003
10/10/2003
10/10/2003
10/10/2003
10/10/2003
10/10/2003
11/6/2003
7/1/2004
13/1/1995
13/1/1995
13/1/95
13/10/1993
13/5/1990
13/7/2001
13/9/1992
14/9/1994
15/11/1994
15/12/2003

Can somebody please tell me why their is difference yet data is enetred in
same manner only... for further clarification u can copy the data to excel.
Data should be in DD-MM-YYYY

Cheers !!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the not only date but also other columns and then go to data |
sort

u can able to sort it ......

On Apr 4, 7:46*pm, Irfan Khan
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Some dates are text and others are dates.

If your Windows short date setting is mm/dd/yyyy then 13/1/1995 is an invalid
date since there is no month 13

If you format the column to General, which dates turn into a 5-digit serial
number?

These are real dates.

I would select the not real dates and DataText to ColumnsNextNexrColumn Data
FormatDate. Choosee MDY or DMY and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP