Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing data in column for multiple rows

Hello,
I'm pretty new to Excel and database applications in general so forgive me
for any wording or vocabulary that I might lack.

I have a list of ip addresses, about 200 rows, in one column. The addresses
are separated into four octets (xx.xx.xx.xx) and I need to edit the last
octet in every row to zero so that it looks like xx.xx.xx.0

What I did was use the text to columns action to isolate the last octet into
it's own column so I could zero it out but then of course I couldn't figure
out how to merge everything back together again. (I figured out how to merge
on the cell level with multiple columns but I couldn't figure out how to get
the formula to work all the way down the list) So, what I think would be
simpler is to just learn how to edit the ip address in the original column
without using text to columns.

So for example:

Befo After:
A A
129.16.12.200 129.16.12.0

And so on all the way down the column. Note, the ip addresses are all
different.

Thanks,
BK

--
Boss: "Do you know Excel?"
Me: "No."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
A simple formula would work.
Assuming the data start at A1, in B1, put this formula....
=LEFT(A1,10)&0

then copy the formula and copy down B column to the end of the list. after
you can copy the B column and paste special - values to turn the formula into
hard data.

Post back if you have problems.

Regards
FSt1