Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Quirks in Excel 2002/2003 (fixed in 2007?)

I use 2002 SP 3 at work and 2003 (SP 2?)at home. I've noticed three quirks
lately with these versions. I hope they were addressed in 2007. They are
really very annoying, and I see no use, no reason they would be included.

1. Cell expanding by 1 pixel on double-click. This is disorienting some
times, because text can sometimes jump from one line to another. To
reproduce this problem, follow these steps:

- Type, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. I am not amused by
this at all." (without quotes) in Arial, 10 pts, in a cell.

-Make the cell width exactly 235 pixels wide. (32.86)

-Format the cell to wrap text, on the alignment tab, or 2007 equivalent.

it should look something like this:

The quick brown fox jumps over the
lazy dog. I am not amused by this at
all.

Now double-click the cell, like you want to edit the contents. If the
same quirk is in 2007 as in 2002/2003, then it should look like this while
you're in it:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog. I am not amused by this at all.

Press Enter or Escape and it snaps back to the way it was originally. Is
this fixed in 2007?

2. Row AutoFit does not work 100% of the time. It seems to leave an extra
blank line in many of my cells. To reproduce, edit the cell I created above:

- Remove the spaces between "this", "at", and "all." so it reads
"thisatall." and fits on 2 lines no matter where "lazy" sits

- then click Format - Row - Autofit (Or whatever the equivalent 2007
command is) for that row

Excel 2002/2003 still thinks there are three lines of text, leaving white
space to waste paper and screen real estate. Does this happen in 2007 also?

3. Find and Replace removes formatting. To reproduce this:

- make "jumps" bold
- make "lazy" italicized
- make "amused" underlined
- find and replace "brown" with "yellow". Click Find Next and Replace, or
simply Replace All.

In 2002/2003, all text in this cell loses any formatting that has been
applied to it. Please tell me this is fixed.