Old November 2nd 16, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grid lines obscured by fill color

I am suing Excel 2010. Always showing cell border with or without fill color: Home - Styles, right click on Normal style - Modify, click on Format, Border tab, open Color combo, click on More Colors, Custom tab, enter 208, 215, 229, in RGB, click on Outline, then OK and OK. Now cell borders are always shown. Doing this in your local Normal template should available to any new book.<

Fantastic!
+100!

Old January 16th 17, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, 1 April 2008 23:24:00 UTC+1, Tom Hutchins wrote:
One workaround...

Add cell borders to repalce the invisible gridlines. Select the block of
cells, right-click, and select Format Cells. On the Border tab of the Format
Cells dialog, select a line style. Click the Outline button, then the Inside
button, then OK.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Paul" wrote:

When I apply a fill color to a block of cells, the grid lines don't
show in that block of cells. I don't expect that there is a way to
force the grid lines to show, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. Thanks
any workarounds, if they exist.

Thanks Hutch, that was very useful
Old July 13th 17, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, 2 April 2008 07:22:54 UTC+9, T. Valko wrote:
That's how it works.

You can format the cells borders to look like grid lines.

FormatCellsBorder tab

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
When I apply a fill color to a block of cells, the grid lines don't
show in that block of cells. I don't expect that there is a way to
force the grid lines to show, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. Thanks
any workarounds, if they exist.

Thank you
Old October 11th 17, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tuesday, April 1, 2008 at 3:03:51 PM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
When I apply a fill color to a block of cells, the grid lines don't
show in that block of cells. I don't expect that there is a way to
force the grid lines to show, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. Thanks
any workarounds, if they exist.

This is what I use because I want colors but still wanted the faint gridline to organize the data.

My solution: Highlight the area you want the gridlines (likely the area you colored and lost them) - Right click - format cells - select the normal border size on the bottom left of the style box - under the color option select "Tan, Background 2" (this is a pre-set option third over right on the top selection - next ensure you select the type of border you want (this is the sample box that says "none, outline, inside, etc.) - finally click okay. You should now have a faint grid border that blends with the original grid marks un-noticingly (yes I made that word up

You can then use the same steps to add a black border around your new grid like border to better present your colored grid lined chart.