ExcelBanter

-   -   Grid lines obscured by fill color (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/182112-grid-lines-obscured-fill-color.html)

Paul April 1st 08 11:03 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

When I apply a fill color to a block of cells, the grid lines don't
show in that block of cells. I don't expect that there is a way to
force the grid lines to show, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. Thanks
any workarounds, if they exist.

T. Valko April 1st 08 11:22 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

That's how it works.

You can format the cells borders to look like grid lines.

FormatCellsBorder tab

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Tom Hutchins April 1st 08 11:24 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

One workaround...

Add cell borders to repalce the invisible gridlines. Select the block of
cells, right-click, and select Format Cells. On the Border tab of the Format
Cells dialog, select a line style. Click the Outline button, then the Inside
button, then OK.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

Paul April 2nd 08 03:55 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

OK, thanks for that. I'll hold off on it for now, because the fill
colors are not permanent, and I have to rejig the borders after the
fill colors are removed.

Paul April 2nd 08 03:56 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

Thanks for that, Hutch. I'll hold off for now because I'd have to
undo the cell borders when the (temporary) fill color is removed.

[email protected] September 11th 13 09:35 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

If you apply a fill color to cells on your worksheet, you won't be able to see or print the cell gridlines for those cells. If you want to see or print the gridlines for these cells, you must remove the fill color. To do so, select the cells, and then click arrow next to Fill Color Button image (Home tab, Font group). To remove the fill color, click No Fill. Keep in mind that you must remove the fill entirely. If you simply change the fill color to white, the gridlines will remain hidden. If you want to be able to retain the fill color, you can use borders instead of gridlines. For more information, see Apply or remove cell borders on a worksheet.

[email protected] September 26th 13 03:01 PM

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:35:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If you apply a fill color to cells on your worksheet, you won't be able to see or print the cell gridlines for those cells. If you want to see or print the gridlines for these cells, you must remove the fill color. To do so, select the cells, and then click arrow next to Fill Color Button image (Home tab, Font group). To remove the fill color, click No Fill. Keep in mind that you must remove the fill entirely. If you simply change the fill color to white, the gridlines will remain hidden. If you want to be able to retain the fill color, you can use borders instead of gridlines. For more information, see Apply or remove cell borders on a worksheet.

If you apply the border and choose the broken line just under "none", it looks perfect when you print! It has the shading and the gridlines.

[email protected] July 31st 14 11:01 PM

Grid lines obscured by fill color

On Thursday, 17 October 2013 06:15:43 UTC+13, wrote:
If you set the border color using the Custom Color dialog (Format-Border-Color-More Colors-Custom) to the RGB colors R:208 G:215 B:229 then it should give you the exact color as the default gridline color.

Thank you! So helpful.