Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text format and missing value.

I have a column of reference numbers, there should be 6 numbers in
each reference, sometimes the leading number is a zero. I am using
=TEXT(B2,"000000") to show all of the digits.

Sometimes the reference column is blank and if that is the case then i
do not want to see 000000 but rather have it show as blank. If it was
still a number column i could have used =IF(B21;B2;" ")

Could somebody show me the best way to combine these two items so as
to show a 6 digit number in column B unless the original field was
blank in which case the new field should also be blank.

with thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 31 Mar, 13:39, Mike H wrote:
Try

IF(B20,TEXT(B2,"000000"),"")

Mike

"Box666" wrote:
I have a column of reference numbers, there should be 6 numbers in
each reference, sometimes the leading number is a zero. I am using
=TEXT(B2,"000000") to show all of the digits.

Sometimes the reference column is blank and if that is the case then i
do not want to see 000000 but rather have it show as blank. *If it was
still a number column i could have used =IF(B21;B2;" ")

Could somebody show me the best way to combine these two items so as
to show a 6 digit number in column B unless the original field was
blank in which case the new field should also be blank.

with thanks- Hide quoted text -

Perfect, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused. What does =IF(B2<1," "," ")&... do for us? Doesn't that
merely concatenate a space at the beginning of the string, regardless of the
value of B2?
--
David Biddulph

"Box666" wrote in message
I have a column of reference numbers, there should be 6 numbers in
each reference, sometimes the leading number is a zero. I am using
=TEXT(B2,"000000") to show all of the digits.

Sometimes the reference column is blank and if that is the case then i
do not want to see 000000 but rather have it show as blank. If it was
still a number column i could have used =IF(B21;B2;" ")

Could somebody show me the best way to combine these two items so as
to show a 6 digit number in column B unless the original field was
blank in which case the new field should also be blank.

with thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your wright, not my day, posting to fast and not checking what i'm writting.
Same for the other post, going back to bed!!!
Thanks for the correction
Regards
Cimjet