Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula to match

I have 2 columns (A and B) and in column C, I want a formula that will look
at Column A and in each cell and where it finds an MM....... I want this
moved to column C, but if it does not find an MM, I want what ever is in the
cell of A column moved over to C.
I have used:

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM",A2)
but it brings back a false in column C if it doesn't find an MM.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You didn't specify the false condition.

Do you just want the "MM" copied over to C (use formula below)? I hope so,
because if you want everything in A copied over, then based on your request,
the A column will be copied over regardless of whether or not "MM" is found
or not.

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM","MM",A2)

HTH,
Paul

--

"Pammy" wrote in message
I have 2 columns (A and B) and in column C, I want a formula that will look
at Column A and in each cell and where it finds an MM....... I want this
moved to column C, but if it does not find an MM, I want what ever is in
the
cell of A column moved over to C.
I have used:

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM",A2)
but it brings back a false in column C if it doesn't find an MM.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You seem to be saying that whether or not you find an MM in A2, you want the
contents of A2 putting into C2. Can yhou explain?

If you intended to say that if you find MM in A2 you want A2 copied to C2,
but otherwise you want *B2* into C2, then use
=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM",A2,B2)
--
David Biddulph

"Pammy" wrote in message
I have 2 columns (A and B) and in column C, I want a formula that will look
at Column A and in each cell and where it finds an MM....... I want this
moved to column C, but if it does not find an MM, I want what ever is in
the
cell of A column moved over to C.
I have used:

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM",A2)
but it brings back a false in column C if it doesn't find an MM.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You say if MM is in column A then move it over to column C but if it is not
then Move it over anyway. I assume this is a typing error and you meant to
move column B over to C if A is not MM ?
Or are you saying if left is MM make C=MM else make it full contents of A ?
Use either of these for which option you require then drag down to the
required number of rows in column C

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM",A2,B2)

=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="MM","MM",A2)