Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to type text in combined cell?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to type text in combined cell?
For example, when I join A1 and A2 cells together, and enter a formula
If true, then type the text A at top and M at bottom, which looks like
following
in combined cell A1 and A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Presume you meant something like this?

If A1 contains: A, A2 contains: M,
A3 to return it as:

If so, first, format A3 to wrap text,
via FormatCellsAlignment tabCheck Wrap Text

Then place in A3: =A1&CHAR(10)&A2

If you meant just how to break for a new line in a cell when entering data
manually, just press Alt+ENTER where you want to break it.
--
Max
Singapore
"Eric" wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to type text in combined cell?
For example, when I join A1 and A2 cells together, and enter a formula
If true, then type the text A at top and M at bottom, which looks like
following
in combined cell A1 and A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't mean type it manually, I need to set a cell formula , if the
condition is true then return
else "".
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions
Eric

"Eric" wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to type text in combined cell?
For example, when I join A1 and A2 cells together, and enter a formula
If true, then type the text A at top and M at bottom, which looks like
following
in combined cell A1 and A1.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

I don't mean type it manually, ..
Ok, but I did give you 2 options earlier,
and with the formula option explained ahead??

One last go here,
with A3 pre-formatted to wrap text (this formatting is required)

Try something like this in A3:
=IF(COUNTA(A1:A2)=2,A1&CHAR(10)&A2,"")
where A1:A2 will contain the text to be combined: A, M

Or, perhaps something like this in A3:
=IF(COUNTA(A1:A2)=2,"A"&CHAR(10)&"M","")
which will give the desired "fixed" text return:
if the condition checked is TRUE, else "" (as you stipulated)
--
"Eric" wrote:
I don't mean type it manually, I need to set a cell formula , if the
condition is true then return
else "".
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your reply
I would like to return both chars in combined cell A1 & A2
If this is true, then return A in cell A1 and M in cell A2, but A1 and A2
are combined cell, which show as below
Do you have any suggestion?

"Eric" wrote:
I don't mean type it manually, I need to set a cell formula , if the
condition is true then return
else "".
Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Don't use merged cells. It causes a lot of pain.
I'm out of guesses/ideas here.