Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default dsum

Here is the setup. I have three columns (Month, Day, and Number Collected)
that I am trying to obtain weekly totals for by using the dsum function
=DSUM(A1:C65,3,H1:I2). My criteria appear as follows: H1-Month I1-Day

H2-March I2- ?
I2 is were I am having trouble. If I want the formula to return the Number
Collected only for March 3 through March 7 and not for collections before or
after this week in March, how do I write that? I've been attempting to
combine =3 and <=7 into the cell, but I'm not sure if my "language" is
correct. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Stolie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Add another Day criteria:

..........H...........I...........J...
1....Month.....Day.....Day
2....March.....=3.....<=7

=DSUM(A1:C65,3,H1:J2)

I find the D functions extremely convoluted to use and now days are
basically obsolete.

Much easier to use SUMPRODUCT although the D functions are more efficient on
*large amounts* of data. SUMPRODUCT is more flexibile (IMO).

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A65="March"),--(B2:B65=3),--(B2:B65<=7),C2:C65)

Or, use cells to hold the criteria (sort of like DSUM):

H2 = March
I2 = 3
J2 = 7

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A65=H2),--(B2:B65=I2),--(B2:B65<=J2),C2:C65)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Stolie" wrote in message
Here is the setup. I have three columns (Month, Day, and Number Collected)
that I am trying to obtain weekly totals for by using the dsum function
=DSUM(A1:C65,3,H1:I2). My criteria appear as follows: H1-Month
I1-Day

H2-March I2- ?
I2 is were I am having trouble. If I want the formula to return the Number
Collected only for March 3 through March 7 and not for collections before
or
after this week in March, how do I write that? I've been attempting to
combine =3 and <=7 into the cell, but I'm not sure if my "language" is
correct. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Stolie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for the added suggestion as
well, I think I'll set them both up and see which one I prefer. Your help is
apprecieated. Cheers. Stolie

"Stolie" wrote in message
Here is the setup. I have three columns (Month, Day, and Number Collected)
that I am trying to obtain weekly totals for by using the dsum function
=DSUM(A1:C65,3,H1:I2). My criteria appear as follows: H1-Month
I1-Day

H2-March I2- ?
I2 is were I am having trouble. If I want the formula to return the Number
Collected only for March 3 through March 7 and not for collections before
or
after this week in March, how do I write that? I've been attempting to
combine =3 and <=7 into the cell, but I'm not sure if my "language" is
correct. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Stolie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same as Biff's plus 7 more options:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3e7fe

DSUM Jed Excel Worksheet Functions 0 January 8th 08 11:35 PM
DSUM sesler2 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 12 March 7th 07 03:26 AM
Using DSUM JoeRapacilo Excel Worksheet Functions 1 March 10th 06 07:02 PM
dsum PaulOakley New Users to Excel 1 July 18th 05 04:49 PM
DSUM Tnknsnj Excel Worksheet Functions 1 June 10th 05 03:31 AM