Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening Excel 07 using older Excel

Many here are saying to just "save as" the older file format .xls. Why is it
that we've (us users) accepted this as the only solution? It doesn't seem to
make much sense to me that this is the accepted solution. It seems pointless
to buy/use new software only to have to save files as the older format? I
figure Microsoft would've incorporated a fix for this already considering
2007's been out for over 1 year. My question is does anyone know if
Microsoft is doing anything to somehow/someday allow an older Excel to
adequately open/edit Excel 2007 .xlsx files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have the compatablility pack installed in the older version then you
an open xlsx files with no problem.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"louie_bit103b" wrote:

Many here are saying to just "save as" the older file format .xls. Why is it
that we've (us users) accepted this as the only solution? It doesn't seem to
make much sense to me that this is the accepted solution. It seems pointless
to buy/use new software only to have to save files as the older format? I
figure Microsoft would've incorporated a fix for this already considering
2007's been out for over 1 year. My question is does anyone know if
Microsoft is doing anything to somehow/someday allow an older Excel to
adequately open/edit Excel 2007 .xlsx files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and complaining by simple using
Google to look for "using Excel 2007 files with earlier versions"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx
Microsoft addressed this issue long ago.

Tyro

"louie_bit103b" wrote in message
Many here are saying to just "save as" the older file format .xls. Why is
it
that we've (us users) accepted this as the only solution? It doesn't seem
make much sense to me that this is the accepted solution. It seems
pointless
to buy/use new software only to have to save files as the older format? I
figure Microsoft would've incorporated a fix for this already considering
2007's been out for over 1 year. My question is does anyone know if
Microsoft is doing anything to somehow/someday allow an older Excel to
adequately open/edit Excel 2007 .xlsx files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Um, sorry I didn't mention this to begin with but I know about the
fileformatconverter download and did try it on several PCs in our LAN. Using
older Word, it opens Word 07 files fine. But using older Excel, it either
cannot open it (not recognizable format error) or opens it with a generic
filename and makes it read-only.

And yes, I also ran the Microsoft Updates on the PCs...