Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default replacing value in formula from outside worksheet?

We know we can start up a spreadsheet from the command prompt: excel
<spreadsheetname.
We've seen batch files which allow one to specify a replacable
parameter in the batchfile from the command line. I'm trying to do
something similar in Excel.

Assume A1:A4 is populated with the names Bob,Ted,Carol,Alice, and I've
written the following formula for Column B: =If((A1:A4)="Bob",1,0).
this will return a '1' in B1, and "0" in B2-B4.

Now, I want to change "Bob" to "Ted" from the command line. I"m
looking for someway to identify a field as replacable, and to perform
the replacement.

Any suggestions? - Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe find/replace would change the data; I'm trying to replace a
value in the formula - Mike

"Mike" wrote:
We know we can start up a spreadsheet from the command prompt: excel
<spreadsheetname.
We've seen batch files which allow one to specify a replacable
parameter in the batchfile from the command line. I'm trying to do
something similar in Excel.

Assume A1:A4 is populated with the names Bob,Ted,Carol,Alice, and I've
written the following formula for Column B: =If((A1:A4)="Bob",1,0).
this will return a '1' in B1, and "0" in B2-B4.

Now, I want to change "Bob" to "Ted" from the command line. *I"m
looking for someway to identify a field as replacable, and to perform
the replacement.

Any suggestions? - Mike- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot do anything from the command line other than open a specific
workbook.

To make changes upon opening, you would require workbook_open event code in the
workbook.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP