Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default filling in data automatically

Hello, I have sheet1 that contains names and addresses. On sheet2 I made a
drop down box to choose any of those names. Is it possible to have the
correct address fill in automatically in the cell next to the one the name is
in ? Thanks for any help, -Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Assuming Names n Addresses are listed in Sheet1's cols A and B
In Sheet2,
Assuming the DV to select the name is in A1 down
In B1, copied down: =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))
--
Max
Singapore
"Kevin" wrote:
Hello, I have sheet1 that contains names and addresses. On sheet2 I made a
drop down box to choose any of those names. Is it possible to have the
correct address fill in automatically in the cell next to the one the name is
in ? Thanks for any help, -Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the names are unique, you could use =vlookup() to retrieve the values from
Sheet1.

=if(a2="","",vlookup(a2,sheet1!a:e,2,false))

This will look at the value in A2. If it's empty (no choice has been made),
it'll return "" (a cell that looks empty).

If there's a value in A2, it'll look at column A of sheet1. It'll return the
second column in the A:E range (column B) for the first match in column A.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup():
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())

And you may want to use data|validation to restrict the values to just names in
your list (column A in my sample formula).

Debra Dalgleish has notes starting he
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

Kevin wrote:

Hello, I have sheet1 that contains names and addresses. On sheet2 I made a
drop down box to choose any of those names. Is it possible to have the
correct address fill in automatically in the cell next to the one the name is
in ? Thanks for any help, -Kevin

--

Dave Peterson