Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Varied Pay rates

Hi, could anyone help me. I have been entering my own pay rates into excel
for a long time now and realised that there should be an easier way to keep
track of the various rates for the different types of equipment I operate.
What I would like to do is when I enter a value in the "Size" column of my
worksheet I want the pay rate to be a particular figure. There are 4
different rates that I need to track. For example when I enter 45 into the
size column I want 23.62 to go into the rate column , when I enter 55 in the
size column I want 22.68 in the rate column etc. If anyone could help me it
would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you want to have 4 sizes in A1:A4 and the corresponding rates
in B1:B4. If you want to enter a size in C10, say 45, and want to have the
corresponding rate in D20 then in D20 just enter
=VLOOKUP(C10,A1:B4,2,FALSE). The formula looks up the 45 from cell C10 and
returns the value from B1, 23.62 to D20 and similarly from the other cells
in A1:B4. You may find more information in the VLOOKUP function in Excel
help.

Tyro

"Peter Welly" wrote in message
Hi, could anyone help me. I have been entering my own pay rates into excel
for a long time now and realised that there should be an easier way to
keep
track of the various rates for the different types of equipment I operate.
What I would like to do is when I enter a value in the "Size" column of my
worksheet I want the pay rate to be a particular figure. There are 4
different rates that I need to track. For example when I enter 45 into the
size column I want 23.62 to go into the rate column , when I enter 55 in
the
size column I want 22.68 in the rate column etc. If anyone could help me
it
would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

You could use VLOOKUP.

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Peter Welly" wrote:

Hi, could anyone help me. I have been entering my own pay rates into excel
for a long time now and realised that there should be an easier way to keep
track of the various rates for the different types of equipment I operate.
What I would like to do is when I enter a value in the "Size" column of my
worksheet I want the pay rate to be a particular figure. There are 4
different rates that I need to track. For example when I enter 45 into the
size column I want 23.62 to go into the rate column , when I enter 55 in the
size column I want 22.68 in the rate column etc. If anyone could help me it
would be greatly appreciated.

I am still confused, could I email you a screenshot of what I am doing then
you might be able to explain it a bit more.
If any one else is able to receive a screenshot from me, please let me know.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming "Size" column is B and that is where you enter the numbers.

Enter this in C1, adjust sizes and rates to suit.

=LOOKUP(B1,{45,55,65,75},{23.62,22.68,21.44,25,66} )

Note.........the sizes{45,55,65,75} in the formula must be in ascending order.

Drag/copy down column C

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP