Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can Excel ignore a 0 if it starts out that way

I am trying to create a spread sheet and need to enter 0023408 and it wants
to put 23408. I need the 00 to be there. How can I turn this feature on or
off.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right-click on the cell, go to "format cell";

Under the "number" tab, choose "Custom" in the category mini-window;

In the white space underneath "Type:", replace whatever you have in there
(possibly "General") by "0000000";

Click "OK";

Done!

"Cali Tech" wrote:

I am trying to create a spread sheet and need to enter 0023408 and it wants
to put 23408. I need the 00 to be there. How can I turn this feature on or
off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

format the cell with a custom format of

0000000

Note however that the cell hold the value 23408 and that only the format of
the cell has changed.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Cali Tech" wrote:

I am trying to create a spread sheet and need to enter 0023408 and it wants
to put 23408. I need the 00 to be there. How can I turn this feature on or
off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Another option, but it'll be text numbers
Either precede the input with an apostrophe (')
or, pre-format the col as text.
--
Max
Singapore
"Cali Tech" wrote:
I am trying to create a spread sheet and need to enter 0023408 and it wants
to put 23408. I need the 00 to be there. How can I turn this feature on or
off.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have a "bunch" of numbers like that and all of them need to be the
same number of digits you can use a custon number format:

FormatCellsNumber tabCustom

0000000

If you enter 10 it will *appear* as 0000010. If you enter 23408 it will
*appear* as 0023408. These entries will still be *numbers*.

Or, you can enter them as *TEXT*. You can either preformat the cells as TEXT
or you can precede them with an apostrope as you enter them:

'0023408

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP