Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Tables -- Protection-- Layout

I have software that creates a data dump of a bunch of information; pivot
tables work great for helping us sort information. Our customer has seen and
now requested similar reports. The pop down feature makes it nice to isolate
a particular group or all of them.

I have deleted the "source" file and password protected the worksheet with a
password. And it is locked. However, if you click the wizard again, and
choose the layout, you can repopulate the pivot table with the data we don't
want them to get at.

The only way I have been able to comply it to copy the sheet and paste it
back as a dead spreadsheet.

There has to be something I am missing with a setting to protect my data,
but still offer reports that they can use for sorting.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, (...) ???

AFAIK, PT stores data in it's "own" (pivot.)Cache so,
you can "delete" the source data and still (half)"manipulate" your PT

what you WON'T be able to do, is update/refresh your PT(.Cache)
for any changes in the (non-existent/deleted/...) "source-data" ;)

also, if there are (any) data you don't want to be "stored" in the (PT.)Cache
leave "the data" OUT of the "source (range ?)"
- (re)arranging/moving columns, shrinking the range, etc.

if any doubts (or further information)... would you please comment ?
hth,
hector.

__ origina post __