Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Inserting Hyperlinks

I need to insert hyperlinks into excel aiming at movies on my HDD. (Don't
ask, its a favour for someone) Which works fine, until I save and re-open the
excel file. It appears to be because excel shortens the path and therefore
breaks the link.

I have tried the Properties, Summary and Hyperlink base fix but find this
doesn't work for me. The 'Cannot find specified file' error persists.

I have also used =HYPERLINK function with no luck either.

How can I stop exel shortening the path?

Andrew
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Post an example of what you enter and what is is changed to.

This format:

=HYPERLINK("file:///g:/temp/DSC_0002.JPG")

may help.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200773

"Andrew" wrote:

I need to insert hyperlinks into excel aiming at movies on my HDD. (Don't
ask, its a favour for someone) Which works fine, until I save and re-open the
excel file. It appears to be because excel shortens the path and therefore
breaks the link.

I have tried the Properties, Summary and Hyperlink base fix but find this
doesn't work for me. The 'Cannot find specified file' error persists.

I have also used =HYPERLINK function with no luck either.

How can I stop exel shortening the path?

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may want to share the hyperlink that you tried and/or the actual formula you
used with the =hyperlink() worksheet function.

For what it's worth, this works for me (with the drive, path, filename in A1):

=hyperlink("file:////" & A1,"Click Me")

Andrew wrote:

I need to insert hyperlinks into excel aiming at movies on my HDD. (Don't
ask, its a favour for someone) Which works fine, until I save and re-open the
excel file. It appears to be because excel shortens the path and therefore
breaks the link.

I have tried the Properties, Summary and Hyperlink base fix but find this
doesn't work for me. The 'Cannot find specified file' error persists.

I have also used =HYPERLINK function with no luck either.

How can I stop exel shortening the path?

Andrew

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=HYPERLINK("file:///c:/documents and settings/administrator/my
documents/movies/elephant.avi")

Sorry, I now realise why it wouldn't work. I wasn't stating the file format
at the end of the path name. Without .avi it wouldn't work, but with it, it
works fine.

Thank you for your help. It took your example to bring me to my senses.

Andrew