Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default comment (with little red triangle) appearing in pivot table

Hi, if i insert a comment in my source data (using the 'insert commment'
function with little red triangle), and then do a pivot table on that data,
is there a way to have the comment appear with the data in the pivot table??

I can understand it would be hard when data cells are summarised or totalled
etc in the pivot table, but where individual data cell infomation from the
data source is presented in the pivot table, i just thought there should be a
way to have the 'comment' to appear as well as the cell information.

I'm using excel 2003

thanks in advance
Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nothing built into excel to do this.

And wouldn't it be difficult to know which comment to use if there are multiple
comments in for that same field?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave,

I understand it would be difficult in cases where multiple comments exist
due to multiple cells being the source of information in the pivot, which is
why i asked "where INDIVIDUAL data cell infomation from the data source is
presented in the pivot table...."

I imagine many people have the desire for comments to carry through to
Pivots and wondered if No one is aware if/how excel can carry a 'comment'
through to a pivot, how brilliant minds out there may achieve a similar
result...ie to carry a comment / detailed words etc through to a pivot?

thanks for looking and thinking about this for me
Peter

happy 111 wrote:

Hi, if i insert a comment in my source data (using the 'insert commment'
function with little red triangle), and then do a pivot table on that data,
is there a way to have the comment appear with the data in the pivot table??

I can understand it would be hard when data cells are summarised or totalled
etc in the pivot table, but where individual data cell infomation from the
data source is presented in the pivot table, i just thought there should be a
way to have the 'comment' to appear as well as the cell information.

I'm using excel 2003

thanks in advance
Peter

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, I've never seen a request in any of the newsgroups for this
feature--that doesn't mean that the number of people who would want it is
small--maybe just not vocal <bg.

Can you put the comment in a cell in the same row, then use that as a row/column
field, too?

I don't have another suggestion, though.