Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default selecting multiple cells in Excel 2007

How to stop selecting multiple cells with one click in Excel 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you explain this a little more? When I click a cell in XL2007, only that
cell is selected.

Rick

"cjb22" wrote in message
How to stop selecting multiple cells with one click in Excel 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mar 9, 11:17 pm, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
Can you explain this a little more? When I click a cell in XL2007, only that
cell is selected.

I experience the same problem periodically: a single click on a
spreadsheet is selecting a cell and several more below it (four more
in my case). It doesn't happen on all documents (especially new
ones), though. No idea why it happens or where one can "turn it
off"... I guess it must be some kind of option that becomes active
while creating the sheet, but I haven't been able to find anything
about this yet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you explain this a little more? When I click a cell in XL2007, only
that
cell is selected.

I experience the same problem periodically: a single click on a
spreadsheet is selecting a cell and several more below it (four more
in my case). It doesn't happen on all documents (especially new
ones), though. No idea why it happens or where one can "turn it
off"... I guess it must be some kind of option that becomes active
while creating the sheet, but I haven't been able to find anything
about this yet.

Excel is not my primary area of expertise, but I am not aware of any such
option (nor would such an option make any sense to me). I mean, I can write
an event procedure that will do that, but I know of nothing built-in with
that functionality. Perhaps one of the other regulars here can shed some
light on your problem.

You said it "doesn't happen on all documents"... does that mean it
**always** happens on specific documents (that is, is it repeatable), or is
it a haphazard sort of thing?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You said it "doesn't happen on all documents"... does that mean it
**always** happens on specific documents (that is, is it repeatable), or is
it a haphazard sort of thing?

Rick

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, it does appear to be more haphazard than I thought it was.
Closing and restarting Excel seemed to do the trick, and now the
single-clicks work the way the should. But this has happened before,
so I wonder if it's some kind of rare bug that only some users
experience. (Or, could it be actually related to the mouse--I have
Logitech MX518--and not the application? Still, my pointing device
works perfectly as far as I can tell.)

Regardless, I'll try to give a more thorough description of what
happened, if only to give this thread a better sense of closure.

In the Excel file where this happened, I have 12 tabs with one
spreadsheet each (one for each month of the year), and one additional
tab at the end with data I use for the previous sheets (names of
people in a named range for drop-down selects). In the first worksheet
and the final, data sheet, single-clicks worked the way they should,
but not on the other 11 worksheets--where one click would select
multiple cells.

I eventually noticed that when I single-clicked a cell, the following
expression appeared in the Name Box (the box to the left of the
Formula Bar): 5R x 1C. Normally, an expression like that would only
appear WHEN you are click-dragging the mouse to select multiple cells.
Otherwise, only the name of the cell you click appears there, or the
name of any Named Range you have defined. However the glitch was
obviously behaving as if I were click-dragging the mouse, making Excel
automatically grab those cells below.

I Googled or a while and couldn't find any mention of this trouble, so
it looks like the OP and I are the only ones in the known universe
with this experience :-P.

Oh well, it seems to be gone for the time being...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It happens to me also. I thought it was a click scroll confusion.
still haven't figured out what is going on.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I still wonder what is behind this as I cannot make it happen here at all. I
tried several new and old documents, some for XL2003 and others from XL2007,
and single clicks are single clicks no matter what zoom level I am set at. I
wonder if it is mouse driver related in some way. I am using a Logitech
mouse (G7 if that matters) and I do not have the problem. Why don't those
having the problem post the mouse you are using... perhaps if they are all
the same mouse (driver), then that company could be approached to solve the
problem. If the mouse (drivers) differ in any way, then stop posting as that
would not be what the problem is.

Rick

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am having the very same problem. I use an LX5 Logitech mouse. The zoom
level sometimes eliminates the multiple row selection... sometimes merely
changes the number of rows the click selects. Aggravating, 'tis!

~Sarah Lynn~

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem. I can sometimes make it go away by closing
the document or by switching to another view. It shows up
sporadically regardless of what file is open. Very irritating.

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. *I had mine at 110% it happened. *Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh good! I thought I was alone in this issue!!! It is driving me crazy!
Although, I have to admit, this long line of people having this problem and
no answer to how to resolve it is very disappointing! Has anyone figured out
what the issue is!?

(PS: I had the problem when using a logitech, a dell laptop mouse pad, and
the current mouse which is a gateway)

-Leah-

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As a side note...I have noticed that if I use the arrow keys to select one
cell and then hit "ctrl-c" and copy it somewhere. That usually resolves the
issue for a while! (dunno...I am doing a lot of copying though...half a row
copied to a different row seems to fix it if I use the arrows and
"shift-arrow" to select.)

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!- Hide quoted text -

OK all you MVPs, figure this out for us!!! This is happening to me too, on
almost all files. Driving me crazy. I thought I might have accidently hit
F8 or SHFT F8 but that wasn't it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay...sooooo I have noticed something new with this phenomina...I am not
sure about anyone else...but it only happens to me in "Page Layout" view. The
most likely time for it to happen is when I have two pages (ie: page 1 and 2)
both visable on my screen at the same time...for example, I am getting close
to the end of page 1 and my screen scrolls up to reveal the top of page
2...it will suddenly start happening them. If I scroll the page back up to
only show page 1 on the screen...it stops happening.

Let me know if anyone else experiences this. I am starting to think there is
a tiny clitch in the "Page Layout" view.

wrote in message
Try changing the zoom to 100%. I had mine at 110% it happened. Then
100%, no longer happened!!!!- Hide quoted text -

OK all you MVPs, figure this out for us!!! This is happening to me too, on
almost all files. Driving me crazy. I thought I might have accidently hit
F8 or SHFT F8 but that wasn't it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've been having this a lot recently (Technika MINIMSE02, so I don't
think it's a mouse issue).

Changing the zoom level seems to fix it each and every time, so I'd
say it's a click detection issue - Excel believes I'm selecting a
wider area than I am.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have noticed that my previous observation regarding the layout view has
been spot on every time I have this issue. A co-worker had also mentioned the
issue and I instructed her to try scrolling so that only one page showed on
the screen and it resolved the issue for her as well.

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed that this is only happening in
layout view or not because there weren't any responses to my previous post. I
have noticed though that this is when it happens for me and those in my
office and that the fix is simply to make sure there is only one page showing
at a time when in layout view.

I would love to know if others have found this to be the case as well.

" wrote:

I've been having this a lot recently (Technika MINIMSE02, so I don't
think it's a mouse issue).

Changing the zoom level seems to fix it each and every time, so I'd
say it's a click detection issue - Excel believes I'm selecting a
wider area than I am.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I experienced this problem today, and after implementing the suggestion of
scrolling through Page View to show just one page, the error corrected
itself. I can show two pages side-by-side in Page View without the clicking
issue, but if the bottom of the pages are showing at all, the clicking
problem returns. What the heck?! I now know how to deal with it, but what
an annoyance. :-(
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Having the same issue. Just posted in the more recent item titled "Excel
keeps selecting two cells". I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB... I
doubt this has anything to do with the mouse.

Closing and reopening the document does not help. Restarting excel does not
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I, too, have had this problem with Excel. On my home computer, restarting
Excel has thus far done the trick; however, on my work computer, I tried this
several times and it didn't work. In this thread, I saw that someone simply
changed the zoom to 100% and that took care of the problem, so I tried that
and it worked for me. It's annoying that I can't zoom out like I would like
to, but at least I can select one cell at a time.