Burger23

Default How do I import data into a column?

I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named file.txt. When
I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to format-- but the names are
all listed in a single row (1) and many columns. I can not determine how to
format to lisst all names in a single column with name rows. Thanks..
JulieD

one way is after the import to select the names choose copy
click in cell A2
edit / paste special and tick the transpose check box
you can then delete row 1

Cheers
JulieD

"Burger23" wrote in message
I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named file.txt.
When
I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to format-- but the names
are
all listed in a single row (1) and many columns. I can not determine how
format to lisst all names in a single column with name rows. Thanks..

Marc Fleury

"?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=" wrote in
:

I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named
file.txt. When I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to
format-- but the names are all listed in a single row (1) and many
columns. I can not determine how to format to lisst all names in a
single column with name rows. Thanks..

Don't know if there's an easy way to do this in Excel, but I'd use a word
processor to find and replace (replace commas with carriage returns)

--
Marc.

Burger23

Tried this in Word-- but how do you enter a carriage return- pressing Enter
does not do the trick for me

Thanks

"Marc Fleury" wrote:

"?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=" wrote in
:

I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named
file.txt. When I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to
format-- but the names are all listed in a single row (1) and many
columns. I can not determine how to format to lisst all names in a
single column with name rows. Thanks..

Don't know if there's an easy way to do this in Excel, but I'd use a word
processor to find and replace (replace commas with carriage returns)

--
Marc.

JulieD

Hi

in the edit / replace dialog in Word
click in the replace with box
click on the more button
click in the replace with box again
click on the special button
choose paragraph mark

alternatively just type
^p
in the replace with box (all in lower case)

Cheers
JulieD

"Burger23" wrote in message
Tried this in Word-- but how do you enter a carriage return- pressing
Enter
does not do the trick for me

Thanks

"Marc Fleury" wrote:

"?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=" wrote in
:

I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named
file.txt. When I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to
format-- but the names are all listed in a single row (1) and many
columns. I can not determine how to format to lisst all names in a
single column with name rows. Thanks..

Don't know if there's an easy way to do this in Excel, but I'd use a word
processor to find and replace (replace commas with carriage returns)

--
Marc.

Burger23

I sucessfully coverted the document in Word, but Excel does not seem to know
what to do with the paragraph symbols. Ideas please

"Burger23" wrote in message
Tried this in Word-- but how do you enter a carriage return- pressing
Enter
does not do the trick for me

Thanks

"Marc Fleury" wrote:

"?B?QnVyZ2VyMjM=?=" wrote in
:

I have a list of names, separated by a comma, in a file named
file.txt. When I use Excel to open this file, I get the Wizard to
format-- but the names are all listed in a single row (1) and many
columns. I can not determine how to format to lisst all names in a
single column with name rows. Thanks..

Don't know if there's an easy way to do this in Excel, but I'd use a word
processor to find and replace (replace commas with carriage returns)

--
Marc.

JulieD

Hi

if you select and copy the document in word (control & A then control & C)
then click in cell A1 of a worksheet in excel and paste (control & V)
does it work like you want.

if not, you could do this
control & A in word to select all
click on the insert table icon on the toolbar your list should be turned
into a table
now copy the table and paste into excel.

Cheers
JulieD

"Burger23" wrote in message
Tried this in Word-- but how do you enter a carriage return- pressing
Enter
does not do the trick for me

Thanks

"Marc Fleury" wrote: