Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Tracking survey data

I have seven workbooks, each with the same survey worksheet, that will be
filled out by different people.

The values that can appear in column E, from rows 3 through 12, can be 0
through 5. I need the total count of each value from all of the worksheets
to display in a "master" sheet. Something that looks like this (which will
probably get horribly mangled when uploaded):

Question 0 1 2 3 4 5
1 0 4 1 2 0
0
2 0 0 3 2 1
0

I'm looking for hints as to how to get started. I'm just not sure which
Excel functions to look use. CountIf seems to be a possibility, but I don't
see a way to use it across workbooks. If I have to copy all the worksheets
into one document to make it easier, I will.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One quick & easy way to frame it up, illustrated in this sample:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3d4fk
Consolidating survey results.xls

Simplest to move (or copy n paste special as values) all 7 source survey
sheets over to a single file for summarization, naming each source sheet as,
simply: 1,2,3,... 7

Then in another sheet: Summary,
With the 7 source sheetnames listed in A3:A9, viz: 1,2,3... 7
and question# (labels) listed in B2:K2, viz.: 1,2,3,... 10
In B3:
=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$A3&"'!E3:E12"),COLUMNS($A:A))
Copy B3 across/fill down to K9. This will extract/populate the survey
questions.

Immediately below the above table, you could frame up the summary table
Question#'s are listed in A13:A22, viz.: 1,2,3,... 10
Response#'s are listed in B12:G12, viz.: 0,1,2,3,4,5
In B13:
=COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$3:$A$9,,ROWS($1:1)),B$12)
Copy B13 across/fill down to G22 to return the required counts of each
response (0-5) for each of the 10 questions
--
Max
Singapore
"Larry Kahm" wrote in message
I have seven workbooks, each with the same survey worksheet, that will be
filled out by different people.

The values that can appear in column E, from rows 3 through 12, can be 0
through 5. I need the total count of each value from all of the
worksheets to display in a "master" sheet. Something that looks like this
(which will probably get horribly mangled when uploaded):

Question 0 1 2 3 4
5
1 0 4 1 2 0 0
2 0 0 3 2 1 0

I'm looking for hints as to how to get started. I'm just not sure which
Excel functions to look use. CountIf seems to be a possibility, but I
don't see a way to use it across workbooks. If I have to copy all the
worksheets into one document to make it easier, I will.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline