snax500

Default summerize survey data

In Excel2000, I have the following survey results that I would like
summerized ( I have hundreds of rows of data and lots of columns of
data ):

A B C D E
1 USER TYPE1 TYPE2 TYPE3 TYPE4
2 X good poor good poor
3 Y poor good adequate adequate
4 Z adequate good good good

I would like to use a pivot table but I can't figure out how it can
summerize (by TYPE and then by survey result) the data like this:

TYPE1
good 1
poor 1
adequate 1
TYPE2
good 2
poor 0
adequate 1

Any ideas how can make a quick pivot out of this? I know I can use
COUNTIF but I think it would be easier to use a pivot.

Thanks