Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

Default multiple values question

I have 2 cols of data and need Col 3 which inserts a value the same as column
2 but in a different range. Col 3 has been populated here to show as example.
I've been working on if statements but can't find the right one, I've tried
if and statements also. BTW I've only include Col 1 because it might help to
uniquely identify the values, but may not be necessary.

Using Excel 2003 SP3

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
your first sentence is broken and leaves out the need of column 3. what is
the need of column 3?
you are looking for a formula. to calculat somthing....what?
is column 3 calculated? where did you get this value? how were the values in
columns a, b and c derived?

more info please.

Regards
FSt1

"RCB" wrote:

I have 2 cols of data and need Col 3 which inserts a value the same as column
2 but in a different range. Col 3 has been populated here to show as example.
I've been working on if statements but can't find the right one, I've tried
if and statements also. BTW I've only include Col 1 because it might help to
uniquely identify the values, but may not be necessary.

Using Excel 2003 SP3

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RCB RCB is offline

Hi thanks for your reply
Col 3 was shown for example purposes. It should hold the new calculated value.

I need to populate col 3 with values similar to col 2 but in a different
range.
e.g.
Cols 1 & 2 contain the following:
Col 1 Col 2
4 91611
5 91611
4 91612
5 91612
1 91613
4 91613
5 91613
1 91614
4 91614
5 91614
1 91615
4 91615
5 91615

Ny spreadsheet contains cols 1 & 2. You will see that there are repeated
values in Col 2. This is a transaction no.
I need a formula to populate a new transaction no into col 3, which starts
from a new value (e.g. 37518) and allows me to fill the formula down. I've
used col 1 (status value) to try to uniquely identify the records also.

So, col 3 should look like this if I can get the formula right:

col 1 col 2 col 3

It's probably IF or IF(AND), IF(OR).

This is really hard to explain, sorry.

"RCB" wrote:

I have 2 cols of data and need Col 3 which inserts a value the same as column
2 but in a different range. Col 3 has been populated here to show as example.
I've been working on if statements but can't find the right one, I've tried
if and statements also. BTW I've only include Col 1 because it might help to
uniquely identify the values, but may not be necessary.

Using Excel 2003 SP3

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
sorry about not getting back sooner. got busy.
in looking at your data, there seems to be some consistancy around the
number 5409x. but the first group of number you supplied varied from 54097 to
54094 in desending order. the second group of numbers were consistance at
54093. in the first group, i found not consistant relation of column A to the
other columns (which is why my first respond was questions instead of
answers). in the second group of data, i found no relation.
I understand that you may have a complicate situation that is difficult to
explain but we have to find some consistancy. you mentioned that you had
tried formulas. what have you tried so far? and again, how did you derive the
numbers in column C for this example data?

Regards
FSt1

"RCB" wrote:

I have 2 cols of data and need Col 3 which inserts a value the same as column
2 but in a different range. Col 3 has been populated here to show as example.
I've been working on if statements but can't find the right one, I've tried
if and statements also. BTW I've only include Col 1 because it might help to
uniquely identify the values, but may not be necessary.

Using Excel 2003 SP3

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming you don't have any headings, put 37518 in cell C1 (or C2 if you do
have headers). Then in C2 put this formula:

=IF(B2=B1,C1,C1+1)

and copy this down.

Alternatively, you can put this in C1 and copy down:

=B2*1-54093

Hope this helps.

Pete