Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy and paste values, formatting and formulas

I have a couple of problems.
If I try to copy a formula from one workbook to another new one to use the
formula in the new one it adds the name of the originating spreadsheet as
reference. I have to go through each formula and delete the name reference to
the original spreadsheet. How do I prevent that?
Next problem; when copying a workskeet that contains cell formating, color
etc how to I copy the values and formatting but not the formulas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Red Red is offline

Ok, to copy a formula from one worksheet to another, without it keeping a
reference (or link) to the orginial document / file, then do this.

Copy the formula in the original file
Move to the cell in the new worksheet and go to Edit / Paste Special. When
the window opens, select the radio button next to formula. Press OK.

As far as copying a worksheet to another file without taking the data with
it, I dont have a good answer for you. If you're using the same worksheet
all the time and do this often, you might want to consider writing a macro to
delete the data so you wont have to do it manually.

Hope this helps.
--
Just a fellow Excel user here to help when I can.....

"Joe M." wrote:

I have a couple of problems.
If I try to copy a formula from one workbook to another new one to use the
formula in the new one it adds the name of the originating spreadsheet as
reference. I have to go through each formula and delete the name reference to
the original spreadsheet. How do I prevent that?
Next problem; when copying a workskeet that contains cell formating, color
etc how to I copy the values and formatting but not the formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are copying just a few formulas, copy them from the source formula bar
and paste into the formula bar on target sheet in target workbook.

If you have many to do I would suggest this method.

Select all formula cells then EditReplace

What: =

With: ^^^

Replace all.

Copy to the target then reverse the process on both books or just the target and
close source without saving.

The second question requires a two-step operation.

1. Copy and paste specialvaluesokesc

2. Paste SpecialformatsOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP